Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Got clunking noises in the front

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Got clunking noises in the front

Well I have had some clunking noises just start the other day in the front every time I hit a good bump. I new I needed new track bar bushing and I got them today and installed them and man did that help. Still a little play in the steering going down the road and the clunking noise is alot better but its still there. I got under the jeep looking at everything and noticed that the upper control arm was touching the floorboard as you can see in the picture;

So I got a prybar and put between the 2 and pushed the floor up so they wasn't touching. Clunking still there!!!!!!! I thought, for ****z a grins I will see if anything is loose so I tighten every nut and bolt on the suspention and fount 2 bolts completly missing one on each side and alot was loose.(everything had locktight on it) The 2 bolts that was missing was not installed with an impact, they were installed with a ratchet and now that they are missing the threads are gone also. They look like they where striped or they was pulled out. All the other bolts on the cross member was tight as can be, the only bolts loose was the bolt on the control arms.

I tightend everything up and that made a BIG differents lol. Drives nice and strait also lol but the clunking noise is there but NOT NEAR as bad. I can only hear it every once in awhile. I am assuming that it is because them bolts that are missing.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l

could be a lot of diff. things.

check all bushings, my sway bar ones are bad and they clunk over every bump. Seems like you have done a lot of checking already.
just have to try a few things to determine if it's left or right side, try to narrow that down if possible. could be: bushings,links,ball joints, tie rod ends, steering linkage,etc

good luck. keep us posted.

have you checked the u-joints?