Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

good mods to do

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default good mods to do

hey y'all. i'm lookin to do some mods to my 92. i've already thrown in an aluminum radiator (old one was clogged), and a header, i was also thinking about doing cam and lifters, exhaust, cold air intake, possibly bore the cylinders either 30 or 60, possibly aluminum pistons, and some new rockers. I only take her mudding maybe 10-20 days a year so i'm mostly looking for mods that will improve it on road, some stuff that will up the horses a little, hopefully to around 250 or so. anybody have any ideas of good parts to use for these mods? i'm looking to do it relatively cheap, total of maybe a grand. i dont know all that much about engines, i'm a body guy. so as far as cams i have no idea what to look for as far as intake and exhaust durations, how much of a difference will 30 or 60 overbore make? i've heard yu can use chevy pistons and that they might be alittle better and cheaper than aftermarket xj pistons. and what kind fo rockers are good? as i said i have no idea about anything when it comes to engine performance. i was also going to either get a new t-body or see if i can bore out the stock one... so any ideas or suggestions would appreciated. thanks.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:56 AM
Seasoned Member

I know quadratec has a set of roller rockers and a cam I believe, but the kit itself is like $600 if I remember correctly. The most common engine mods I have seen are the header intake and exhaust, there is about $1000 right there. More if you arent doin the install yourelf, but could be less depending on the brand/condition of the parts. Stroking a motor and camming it will be even more and its a 92 so it would be wise to have your engine rebuilt if you plan on that, your way out of teh $1000 ball park. At the minimum for a cam the valve train will need to be replaced and it will need to be tuned. I may be wrong in areas im sort of new to the XJ I'm just going by the basics.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:02 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

ok cool thanks, i already go the header and installed it, it was a pacesetter slip fit, goes all the way to the cat, i was thinking of replacing the pipes from the header all the way back to 3" i've heard that will get better flow thruogh and free up a horse or two... i was thinking about $250 for the c.a.i., or possibly get a cali illegal one, and just put the airbox back in for smog... i do most of my shopping on summit, so those are pretty much the prices i use for a base. are mopar performace parts worth the price? are parts cheaper from summit or from mopar directly?