Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Good day in the garage.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Good day in the garage.

Finally had a day off to fix the jeep. I have a 1993 Jeep Cherokee Country. In another post I told the story about putting my radiator cap back on and busting the whole piece off the radiator. I JB Welded it after that. It held for about 150 miles before it started seeping.
I don;t have the best mechanical skills, just enough really. But the radiator is pretty simple to swap out. Took 45 minutes or so. Could have went faster but eh why? lol. Changed the hoses, just because.
After the radiator I tackled the tappet pan gasket, again no sweat there. 20 minutes or so.
The the oil filter seal. This was annoying, this took me some time, cleaning the oil off, fighting for room. Not to hard really just took some time. 1 hour fight there. Finally no more leaks.
Changed the oil and filter. 20 minutes.
Next was plugs and wires. Easy as pie. 45 minutes or so. Changing the distributer cap and rotor didnt even occur to me when I was at Napa. I should have done that too. This weekend maybe.
Looked over all the vacuum hoses, air filter. No problems there.
Next part was kinda rough, Not hard just not alot of room when laying on your back under it. Replaced the broken loud muffler with a new one. Cannot believe how quiet this thing is now. Not sure if I like it this quiet or not yet. 2 hours, a good chunk of it procrastinating about being on the ground welding. At least i have a garage though. Cold one however.
SHocks were next, I didnt trust myself with these so I took it to a friends shop. I didnt get a chance to watch him fix the shocks sadly, so I'm still not sure if I could do it myself or not. Tightened some front end bolts and called it a day.
I gotta say I was dreading it all, but it was a good fun day. Guess the old jeep and I bonded today. So only thing left is cap and rotor. Windshield wiper switch. I dread changing that switch. I heard the steering wheel has to come off. I dont know if I have that kind of talent or not. Is that a hard job?

Last edited by Chopper_Kingpin; 12-01-2011 at 10:51 PM.