Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Going Completely Dead in a Day

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L High Output
Default Going Completely Dead in a Day

Alright so I am having a different problem now...Just a little backround, I replaced the Alternator & Battery in hopes of resolving this issue but it's still present. I have to start my truck every morning or else it will go dead enough to the point were it will click really fast. When I do get it started, the C.E Light is lit and the dash lights are normal one minute, then they all are dim the next...Also, whenever I turn my steering wheel the radio will shut off and when I stop turning it comes back on again. It does the same thing when the heat is on, except it just restarts like every 2 seconds. I replaced the ignition switch as well like 2 Months ago...The belt for the alternator is fine and isn't loose. Anybody else have any similar problems? The only code it is flashing is 12 & 55 which as far as I know are normal and I can ignore them. No other codes though. Im stumped. Obviously I have a problem in the electrical...But I don't know where to start.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:47 PM

I love solving electrical problems, the first part sounds like you have a parasitic drain (something drawing power with the jeep off) problem, a quick google search should give you a better testing instructions then i could, as far as the second problem you've got me stumped
Old 02-05-2013, 03:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Buy a digital multimeter (20-50 bucks) and run it on DC amps in series with the battery. At that point you will see any parasitic draw. It should be less than 75mA (.075A). Obviously with your problem it's gonna be quite high. At this point, remove fuses one at a time to isolate the problem circuit. From there you will have to check wiring on whatever circuit you decided on.

For your radio problem I'm not totally sure, maybe the clockspring? I dunno if that has anything to do with ign-on sources like the radio though.

If my explanation isn't too great there is a lot of good videos/how-to guides on checking parasitic draw out there.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dan91
Buy a digital multimeter (20-50 bucks) and run it on DC amps in series with the battery. At that point you will see any parasitic draw. It should be less than 75mA (.075A). Obviously with your problem it's gonna be quite high. At this point, remove fuses one at a time to isolate the problem circuit. From there you will have to check wiring on whatever circuit you decided on.

For your radio problem I'm not totally sure, maybe the clockspring? I dunno if that has anything to do with ign-on sources like the radio though.

If my explanation isn't too great there is a lot of good videos/how-to guides on checking parasitic draw out there.
I just replaced my column and all that stuff is in the ignition switch
Old 02-05-2013, 04:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Have you looked at the wiring under the dash? Make sure it doesnt look all ghetto as hell under there. If most of it looks custom, you've got problems.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Seasoned Member

I have. It looks normal with no wires hanging. It has had problems in the past of when you turn on the AC, the radio turns off. When you turn on the heat, Its lost power steering. But the power steering incident was years ago when my Mother drove it. No mechanic can find any of the problems like this that it has had.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Seasoned Member

One thing that triggers these onset of problems is when it is hot out.