Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Going from 3" and 31s to 4.5" and 32's what do i need??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6 cylinder
Default Going from 3" and 31s to 4.5" and 32's what do i need??

I currently have a Rough Country add a leaf 3" lift kit with 31" tires and I'm moving up to 32" Buckshot mudders. I have a couple problems. First I know I need to lift a little more. If I get 1 1/2 coil spacers and 1" blocks will it fit the tires without rubbing? I dont want to do much trimming because I like my jeep looking good. But I know I'll need an adjustable trac bar along with extended control arms. Or could I go with just a trac bar relocation bracket and be fine? Are those two things all I will need so that my jeep will drive just as good? Also my rims are 15x8 Cragar streetlocks with 3.75" backspacing. Will the extra inch of width on the tire make them stick out a lot farther? The cops are very strict with tires sticking out and mine are pushing it already. Let me know what you know about all these things I just need my jeep to have good handling when I drive down an interstate and also good offroad capabilities. One last thing, will 32s dog down the power at all and hurt gas mileage?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 XJ
Engine: 4.0L
Default Welcome to CF

Originally Posted by beaum
I currently have a Rough Country add a leaf 3" lift kit with 31" tires and I'm moving up to 32" Buckshot mudders. I have a couple problems. First I know I need to lift a little more. If I get 1 1/2 coil spacers and 1" blocks will it fit the tires without rubbing? I dont want to do much trimming because I like my jeep looking good. But I know I'll need an adjustable trac bar along with extended control arms. Or could I go with just a trac bar relocation bracket and be fine? Are those two things all I will need so that my jeep will drive just as good? Also my rims are 15x8 Cragar streetlocks with 3.75" backspacing. Will the extra inch of width on the tire make them stick out a lot farther? The cops are very strict with tires sticking out and mine are pushing it already. Let me know what you know about all these things I just need my jeep to have good handling when I drive down an interstate and also good offroad capabilities. One last thing, will 32s dog down the power at all and hurt gas mileage?
Ok, there was a lot of questions in there so i will try to answer all the ones i can to the best of my knowledge, Someone will deffinetly correct me if i am wrong.

you have an add a leaf so i am not sure where you will be sitting after you install evrything (if it will be a true 4.5"). Blocks are bad, If i were you i would just save the money till you can buy 4.5" full spring packs.

About the rubbing. I have a 4.5" full spring pack lift from rusty's with 32" bfg mt's and rubbed like crazy. This can be fixed without trimming fenders. Use proper bumpstopage and you will most likely just have to trim some of the plastic on the front bumper.

I bought my lift tires and rims at the same time as a kit so i am not sure about the backspacing question, sorry

I noticed a considerable difference in power and gas mileage after installing my lift and tires. Now lift doesn't really have an affect on gas mileage so i know it was the tires. You could regear if you don't like it at a later date

Oh the trackbar question, i have an adjustable trackbar so not to familiar with the drop brakets but you could probably find one specifically made for a 4.5" lift.

Hopefully his helps a little and welcome again

Rusty
Old 01-11-2010, 06:50 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.ol renix

Your gonna need longer lca's and maybe longer shocks ...but u might be able to use bpe's for the shocks. Relocate your front brake lines if u haven;t already ....and yur gonna need a longer rear line.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Skreed
Your gonna need longer lca's and maybe longer shocks ...but u might be able to use bpe's for the shocks. Relocate your front brake lines if u haven;t already ....and yur gonna need a longer rear line.
I agree with everything but the longer rear line. All i did was disconnect the stock bracket and it does just fine. But thanks for throwing all that other stuff in there. Actually my drop brakets for the front brake lines were not long enough so i bought some lines from a 93 full size chevy 2wd. At 25" they are 7" longer than stock.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 straight 6 cylinder

Thanks I appreciate the help. I'm not really familiar with bumpstops so what exaclty do they do?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:21 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by beaum
Thanks I appreciate the help. I'm not really familiar with bumpstops so what exaclty do they do?

Limit the uptravel of the wheel and axle so you dont rub,cut a tire or rip a fender