Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Getting hard to turn over, Now weird idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Getting hard to turn over, Now weird idle problem

Hi all, I know there's quite a few wont start, problems, but my 2000 xj for the past two weeks has been having a hard time cranking over in the morning...it does, but its sounding worse each day.

today, it almost didn't turn over at all. I left it running, went inside, came out five mins later and it was bucking and stalled as I got in. Drove it and it was ok for a bit.

I just put some techtron in and filled the tank a few days ago after a week of it having a harder and harder time turning over...and INSTANTLY, it seemed like the problem cleared up, until yesterday, it started doing it again, now today its nasty...I don't want to break down and definitely need my truck...

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2011, 08:05 AM
Seasoned Member

In my 97 I change my plugs,plug wires,cap and rotar and it clears that up also run some seafoam in gas and throttle body. Not sure if the cap and rotar applies to your engine but the other stuff should help
Old 06-10-2011, 08:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Pic of my 97
Attached Thumbnails Getting hard to turn over, Now weird idle problem-forumrunner_20110610_050729.jpg  
Old 06-10-2011, 08:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Sounds like a battery issue, Hows the voltage, battery cables and the voltmeter when the vehicle is running
Old 06-10-2011, 09:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

Did the check engine light come on when it ran better?

My 98 Cherokee acted the same when my downdraft O2 sensor was going bad. It would run terribly almost stalling at red lights and idling rough...Then it would run great... then act up again. I chased the problem for a few weeks before the check engine light came on. I didn't think the downdraft had anything to do with how the engine ran but apparently it does.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Alaskan xj 97
In my 97 I change my plugs,plug wires,cap and rotar and it clears that up also run some seafoam in gas and throttle body. Not sure if the cap and rotar applies to your engine but the other stuff should help
I have the harness and plugs, no cap and rotor. But Im sure it could use a tune up.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Put a new battery in, low voltage will cause all kinds of goofy things to happen.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by razor02097
Did the check engine light come on when it ran better?

My 98 Cherokee acted the same when my downdraft O2 sensor was going bad. It would run terribly almost stalling at red lights and idling rough...Then it would run great... then act up again. I chased the problem for a few weeks before the check engine light came on. I didn't think the downdraft had anything to do with how the engine ran but apparently it does.
The funny thing is, ive had check engine lights on for the cat, but many said it could be the O2 sensor. It was cleared and hadn't come on since...that was about 300 miles ago...right after that is when I started having problems...

Which O2 sensor? I have 4. Its a cali emissions system. 2 O2 sensors right off the exhaust man before the 2 cats, then 2 right after the cats. I think I had an error code indicating it was the number 2 on the number one pipe...that would be the sensor AFTER the cat on the pipe for cylinders 1-3...

I'll check those out..

thanks..

Anyone know why it work better after putting in techtron and filling it for about 50 miles and then start acting up again?...weird.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

wow... 4 sensors... The one that went bad on mine was after the cat. My 98 only has 2.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Put a new battery in, low voltage will cause all kinds of goofy things to happen.

Funny thing is I can't figure if its a fuel or electrical...my first thought was electrical.

Can a voltage problem make it idle poorly as well? Ive got a ton of problems I guess...fixing one at a time...right now, getting it to start and idle properly would be my first one..whether it's a battery or an O2 Sensor.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by razor02097
wow... 4 sensors... The one that went bad on mine was after the cat. My 98 only has 2.
Yeah, cali emissions suck. And you can't change it over either...Id have to change the whole engine, which Im thinking of doing if I can get $1200 together. A friend of mine rebuilds them, and he'd do it for $1200...not bad...unfortunately...right now $1200 is like gold to me! lol....anyone got any gold I can have?
Old 06-11-2011, 11:21 AM

Ok, so this morning, the jeep started up...a little bit of a problem...cracked for about 5 seconds and no problem.....but....

I have it at work and I got it and its dead. The windows, dash, lights, door open bing bong works..(that was a joke), but it wont start. I can here the starter gear spinning...sounds like a machine gun...clack clack clack....

Is this my starter? Could this be whats been going on? I can get one from auto parts store for $100....

Anyone? Thanks in advance
Old 06-12-2011, 07:19 PM

AND the Winner is?

THEJERM...

Its the battery...pretty unbelieveable, but what happened was, overnight the battery would discharge and it would stumble and stall because there wasn't enough voltage for the computer to run properly...at least until the battery charged...then it would right right.

So, i replaced the battery and it works fine.

While I was at it...
-fixed the window lock problem that keeps the others from putting their windows up and down by jumping the yellow and tan wire to bipass the window lock.
-Fixed my hood latches...it took a dozen times to get it to go down and stay down...good ole wd 40 on some rusty hood locks and latches.
-haven't had ac since i got it...turns out a small leak in the low flow hose was causing the problem...my neighbor had freon and sealant and its holding so far...so ac is working.
-redid battery wires, cleaned starter and contacts, all grounds...changed my windshield wipers...all three...

so far so good...little nonsense things that make it irritating to drive.

What did you do to your jeep today?