Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Genius cannot get the valve cover on for 2 years.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Genius cannot get the valve cover on for 2 years.

Hey all. My first car was a 1991 cherokee. I brought it from 119k to 140k in a couple of years before the harmonic balancer died. I managed to replace that, but shortly after the head gasket blew. I actually ended up replacing the whole head because I kind of thought that the issue was due to overheating.

Here's the thing, everything with the head replacement went fine. I kept the rods in a peice of cardboard in their original positions and everything, torqued the valvetrain to spec, followed chiltons.

Then, putting it back together, I couldn't get the dang valve cover back on! I try to put it on, and it hangs about a 1/4 inch over the front end of the head, leaving a gap. I feel like I've tried everything: re-seated the rods a thousand times, re-torqued the valvetrain. It's actually sat for a long time (2-3 years, going to need to siphon the fuel tank and check the fuel lines, spray oil in the cylinders) because I just can't figure out how to get the valve cover on.

One thing, my head was 1991, stock. The new head was stamped with "94". they are both 7120 heads.

If anyone has any insight, let me know. I'd love it if my first car would run again.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:22 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,252 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

You're not putting it on backwards, are you?
Old 12-18-2017, 06:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by foamfoot
I try to put it on, and it hangs about a 1/4 inch over the front end of the head, leaving a gap.
Curious clarification so the guys here can help you better. Is it over leaving a gap but sitting flat against the head? Or is it sitting above the mating surface and not going all the way down that is creating the gap?
Old 12-18-2017, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
You're not putting it on backwards, are you?
I'd say that's a possibility given my track record, but I've tried it every way it can go, including upside down and sideways.

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Curious clarification so the guys here can help you better. Is it over leaving a gap but sitting flat against the head? Or is it sitting above the mating surface and not going all the way down that is creating the gap?
The second one; its sitting above the mating surface.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

The valve cover did change between 91 and 94, but it seems like the change was primarily due to the size/angle of the PCV fittings rather than the height of the cover.

Another clarification - we're talking about the 4.0 I6 engine, right?
Old 12-18-2017, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
The valve cover did change between 91 and 94, but it seems like the change was primarily due to the size/angle of the PCV fittings rather than the height of the cover.

Another clarification - we're talking about the 4.0 I6 engine, right?
yes, it is the 4.0
Old 12-18-2017, 01:11 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by foamfoot
I'd say that's a possibility given my track record, but I've tried it every way it can go, including upside down and sideways.

The second one; its sitting above the mating surface.
Cool... the next question would be does the gasket also do this before you even try to put the cover on? And is it one of the composite blue silicone/metal gaskets?

If so there are two things to look at. First, check to make sure the radiator hose is not stopping it from going down. Second, if it has the composite gasket there are bridges that go across. Two of these have alignment holes that drop onto two pins sticking off the top of two of the head bolts. These head bolts have to be in the proper location and the gasket has to match these pins on the left side of the engine when looking at it. All the bolts with the threaded bolthead sticking up go down the right side of the head when looking at it.

Note the pins sticking up off of two of these head bolts?

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 12-18-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

If the above... good information hasn't completely resolved your issue... snap a couple good photos of your engine bay with the cover sitting in the position you've described. And upload them to this thread.
That might help us help you faster.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:50 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RocketMouse
If the above... good information hasn't completely resolved your issue... snap a couple good photos of your engine bay with the cover sitting in the position you've described. And upload them to this thread.
That might help us help you faster.
Absolutely! that would help greatly! And if you have any trouble doing this please PM me and I can help. We need to get this running!
Old 12-19-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

If you look at the valve cover gasket it locates on a few of the head bolts. if those head bolts are in the wrong location it could be causing the valve cover too not to line up correctly. i would recheck the head bolt locations.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:22 AM
CF Veteran

Did you get this solved?