Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

General Questions on new jeep

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default General Questions on new jeep

I just got my 94 cherokee. It has 153,000 miles. not bad for the age. The oil has been changed and i changed out the rear diff fluid. The rear is making noise even after i changed it. did see some wear but letting it go. good idea? I checked the transfluid and it looked like motor oil color. I know new fluid is red. My first guess would be to change it right away. I however am thinking maybe i shouldn't after i talked to a transmission guy. I had my ford explorer transmission rebuilt and I asked the guy about the jeep and he said the the older fluid in there may have more friction to it then if i where to go ahead and change it. He said sometimes they start slippin after you change the fluid. Is this true? What do you guys think? I was thinking maybe he just wants to rebuild the jeeps too! idk! And last question how are these automatic transmissions?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l I6

I am going to change my tranny fluid also. I heard that before but that is when you FLUSH it you have more problems. Just simply drain it out and take off pan then change filter and fill it back up. So that way it mixes with alot of the old fluid that is still in the lines and such. That is what I am going to do here when it isnt 10 degrees outside lol.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

My jeep has a d35 in it also and it likes to whine. It whines as youre cruising, but not as youre accelerating, and it quiets down when you let off the gas..
The d35 is a weak axle, I would not spend the money on getting it repaired. Ive heard of these things going indefinately with it whining, but thats no guarantee. I would just drive it until the axle gives up, but until then I would look for a good Chrysler 8.25 or explorer 8.8 (if you know what youre doing, the 8.8 has disc brakes too ) You can usually find Chrysler 8.25s on craigslist for about 100 bucks...

The aw4 is a good trans and can take alot of abuse if you take care of it. They are used in toyotas too, a variant of it called the A340. Just make sure you DO NOT use ATF+4 when you do the flush and refill...
Old 12-08-2009, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 HO

Thank you all for your responses I have some valvoline high milage dex/merc trans fluid. I think I'll be changing it this weekend