Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

General Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default General Maintenance

I'm new to the whole maintenance thing. If I have instructions I can do just about anything. So my question is...what are some good maintenance things to be done?

I'm changing the oil this weekend as it needs to be done.

2000 XJ
4.0L Automatic
74xxx miles

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited by hArLtRoN; 03-26-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 i6

Originally Posted by hArLtRoN
I'm new to the whole maintenance thing. If I have instructions I can do just about anything. So my question is...what are some good maintenance things to be done?

2000 XJ
4.0L Automatic
74xxx miles

Thanks,
Shawn
change out all of the fluids.
New oil. See salads post on oil choice for 4.0
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/rot...essing-188168/

Drain and fill the trans a few times, especially since you have low miles. Make SURE you use dexron mercon III, and not ATF+4, regardless of what you hear...There is a drain plug, so its quick and easy.

Flush the coolant, Replace power steering FL, Brake FL. Change differential fluid and transfer case fluid... (might be a bit early mileage wise, but might as well do it if you get a chance.

As long as you keep up that stuff, the cherokee will treat you right.

Maybe invest in a decent aux transmission cooler since these transmissions run a bit hot. Very inexpensive and easy to do.

Inspect all suspension and steering components, especially if you have any death wobble or anything like that.

And a tune up with Champion or NGK copper plugs, and good wires
Old 03-26-2014, 02:22 PM

2000 XJ
4.0L Automatic
74xxx miles

Thanks,
Shawn
Also be aware of the 0331 head issue on your model year. Read up on it on this site, there is plenty to read. Don't get all nervous, just be aware of it.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ye Ol' Cherokee
change out all of the fluids.
New oil. See salads post on oil choice for 4.0
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/rot...essing-188168/

Drain and fill the trans a few times, especially since you have low miles. Make SURE you use dexron mercon III, and not ATF+4, regardless of what you hear...There is a drain plug, so its quick and easy.

Flush the coolant, Replace power steering FL, Brake FL. Change differential fluid and transfer case fluid... (might be a bit early mileage wise, but might as well do it if you get a chance.

As long as you keep up that stuff, the cherokee will treat you right.

Maybe invest in a decent aux transmission cooler since these transmissions run a bit hot. Very inexpensive and easy to do.

Inspect all suspension and steering components, especially if you have any death wobble or anything like that.

And a tune up with Champion or NGK copper plugs, and good wires
For the transmission, there's a drain plug like the oil pan?

I was looking at how to change diff fluid the other day and I'll prob wait for a while because at the moment it is a DD in the city. See's dirt roads maybe every other weekend.

I had been looking at an AUX cooler too. It would be worth having in CO cause it gets hot as hell here.

No death wobble...its still got all stock suspension..for now

To my knowledge...I don't know if the plugs have been changed. It was bought through my friends dad's dealer. They may have changed them. How often should they be changed?

Thanks for all your input!
Old 03-26-2014, 02:32 PM

Also be aware of the 0331 head issue on your model year. Read up on it on this site, there is plenty to read. Don't get all nervous, just be aware of it.
I did read about that somewhere. So far it hasn't overheated in the time I've owned it. I'm not sure about before me but it came from an older man who, as you can tell by the miles, rarely drove it.

Would you mind linking to a few threads with the head issue? Just so I have some more reading
Old 03-26-2014, 02:38 PM

Year: 1999

For the transmission, there's a drain plug like the oil pan?

I was looking at how to change diff fluid the other day and I'll prob wait for a while because at the moment it is a DD in the city. See's dirt roads maybe every other weekend.

I had been looking at an AUX cooler too. It would be worth having in CO cause it gets hot as hell here.

No death wobble...its still got all stock suspension..for now

To my knowledge...I don't know if the plugs have been changed. It was bought through my friends dad's dealer. They may have changed them. How often should they be changed?

Thanks for all your input!
when in doubt, change 'em out.....or ~30K miles

and yes, on the transmission, there are 2 plugs, a drain plug and a filler plug. ALWAYS REMOVE FILL PLUG FIRST!!......if for some reason you cannot get the fill plug out, and you drain the tranny, you will be in for a big headache.

and changing diff fluid is pretty easy, it may not be proper, but i dont take the cover off when i do it, i just suck out the old oil through the fill plug and add new oil.

also be sure to check brake fluid and power steering fluid, and replace those regularly as well.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mcameron
when in doubt, change 'em out.....or ~30K miles

and yes, on the transmission, there are 2 plugs, a drain plug and a filler plug. ALWAYS REMOVE FILL PLUG FIRST!!......if for some reason you cannot get the fill plug out, and you drain the tranny, you will be in for a big headache.

and changing diff fluid is pretty easy, it may not be proper, but i dont take the cover off when i do it, i just suck out the old oil through the fill plug and add new oil.

also be sure to check brake fluid and power steering fluid, and replace those regularly as well.
I'll take a look at the wires and the plugs and see how they look.

If I get under the Jeep, are the two plugs for the tranny easily visible or are they somewhat hidden?

I'll check the brake and steering fluid as well. What color should each be?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm very new to this stuff and just want to make sure I'm doing everything correct and make my XJ last as long as possible.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:54 PM

Year: 1999

I'll take a look at the wires and the plugs and see how they look.

If I get under the Jeep, are the two plugs for the tranny easily visible or are they somewhat hidden?

I'll check the brake and steering fluid as well. What color should each be?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm very new to this stuff and just want to make sure I'm doing everything correct and make my XJ last as long as possible.
this should help
http://www.4x4xplor.com/trannyservice.html

as for the fluid, brake fluid is usually clear, and power steering fluid is usually either clear, yellowish, or red.......dont focus on the color so much, but if its dark and murky, it should likely be changed.

and dont worry about the questions, its better to ask how to do it now, than to asks how to fix it later.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:02 PM

this should help

as for the fluid, brake fluid is usually clear, and power steering fluid is usually either clear, yellowish, or red.......dont focus on the color so much, but if its dark and murky, it should likely be changed.

and dont worry about the questions, its better to ask how to do it now, than to asks how to fix it later.
4x4xplor is very helpful. I was on there yesterday just confirming the oil change directions.

I'll check those and see how they look. Does 4x4xplor have directions for changing the brake and steering fluid too?

That is true.

Thanks for you input!
Old 03-26-2014, 03:05 PM

Are you talking about the aw4? im not sure if it changed in 2000, but my 98 has only a drain plug. At least from what I care.

For my process, I literally just pull the trans dipstick, unscrew the drain plug, let it drain, bolt it back up. Then put one quart in, then fill the empty quart with the dirty fluid (Using a different funnel), and follow this process until you put the same amount back in, that you took out.

I have been doing this for a long time, never had a problem. Not sure if your talking about the right transmission, or if i am wrong, but it works for me.

Cherokees have the AW4 transmission
Old 03-26-2014, 03:06 PM

4x4xplor is very helpful. I was on there yesterday just confirming the oil change directions.

I'll check those and see how they look. Does 4x4xplor have directions for changing the brake and steering fluid too?

That is true.

Thanks for you input!
Honestly, i feel that the best way to change steering fluid is just suck up the dirty with a turkey baster, and fill with new fluid, turn wheel all the way both directions, check again, and if is still a bit dark or old, do again. This way you dont have to deal with air in the system
Old 03-26-2014, 03:07 PM

this should help

My Jeep doesn't have a skid plate so is it still necessary to put a jack under the tranny or should I just "skip" that part of the instructions?
Old 03-26-2014, 03:09 PM

Honestly, i feel that the best way to change steering fluid is just suck up the dirty with a turkey baster, and fill with new fluid, turn wheel all the way both directions, check again, and if is still a bit dark or old, do again. This way you dont have to deal with air in the system
I like that way. Seems easiest so that like you said, there won't be an issue with air in the system.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:17 PM

Is this the fluid that would be used for the tranny fluid change?
Amazon.com: Red Line (50304) MT-90 75W-90 GL-4 Manual Transmission and Transaxle Lubricant - 1 Quart: Automotive Amazon.com: Red Line (50304) MT-90 75W-90 GL-4 Manual Transmission and Transaxle Lubricant - 1 Quart: Automotive
Old 03-26-2014, 06:35 PM

Not unless you have a manual/stick-shift transmission...

According to your original post, you said you have a "4.0 Automatic" which would indicate that you have an automatic transmission, hence, you have the AW4 transmission... In which case you would use "Dexron/Mercon III. Here is a link to the exact product I used

Amazon.com: Peak Performance PDT0076-6PK Dexron III/Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1 Quart, Pack of 6: Automotive Amazon.com: Peak Performance PDT0076-6PK Dexron III/Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1 Quart, Pack of 6: Automotive

IF you have a MANUAL transmission, then i believe the link you posted is the correct stuff - not sure though

Quick Reply: General Maintenance