Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gauges not working nor Headlights, brake lights

Old 12-28-2015, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Gauges not working nor Headlights, brake lights

Hey guys. Quick run down. 2000 Cherokee Sport. I6 auto 4wd. It had sat for almost a year. When i parked it everything worked fine.

None of my gauges work. Nor does my odometer. The warning lights like the ebrake, low washer etc all work. But i have no headlights or brake lights. Checked all fuses underneath the hood and in the passenger footwell and theyre all fine. I tore the driver side dash apart and see no wiring issues. If i find just the right spot(jiggling it sorta) on the headlight switch i can get the side markers to turn on and the gauge cluster illumination to turn but thats it.

At a loss for what to do now. Really could use some help.

EDIT: Replaced the headlight switch and fixed the headlight issue. One problem down lol.

Last edited by Keaton; 12-29-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix

Fusable link (short wire) coming from a little upright metal box next to the battery and wiring. If the wire is really stretchy then that's the fusable wire that is bad. I believe they are orange and green wires. Disconnect battery first. Don't wanna get electrocuted or create an accidental welding tool with the wire on the box that connects to the battery. Did that by accident because I was rushing to get to school on time and forgot to disconnect battery.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Here's an instrument cluster inop checklist for blown fuses that you may want to go through. It has nothing to do with inop headlamps.

Edit: your headlamp issue may be a defective headlamp switch.

Name:  Troubleshooting%20Instrument%20Cluster.jpg
Views: 3389
Size:  210.6 KB
Old 12-29-2015, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by LiamLikeNeeson
Fusable link (short wire) coming from a little upright metal box next to the battery and wiring. If the wire is really stretchy then that's the fusable wire that is bad. I believe they are orange and green wires. Disconnect battery first. Don't wanna get electrocuted or create an accidental welding tool with the wire on the box that connects to the battery. Did that by accident because I was rushing to get to school on time and forgot to disconnect battery.
Never heard of a fusable link but ill give that a look and see if i can find it and if theres a problem with it.

Originally Posted by CCKen
Here's an instrument cluster inop checklist for blown fuses that you may want to go through. It has nothing to do with inop headlamps.

Edit: your headlamp issue may be a defective headlamp switch.

Replaced the headlight switch last night and that fixed the headlight issue. I also took out the brakelight switch and cleaned it and adjusted it but still no brake lights. Gonna replace the switch hopefully today and ill see where that gets me.

That checklist is helpful ill give that a go and see what happens thanks!
Old 12-31-2015, 01:51 PM

Alright so I replaced the brake light switch and my brake lights are back. So now my only issue is the cluster not having gauges.

I followed that guide up above and replaced both the IOD and #9 fuses and no difference. Could it be the cluster itself? Or maybe the pcm?
Old 12-31-2015, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Keaton
Alright so I replaced the brake light switch and my brake lights are back. So now my only issue is the cluster not having gauges.

I followed that guide up above and replaced both the IOD and #9 fuses and no difference. Could it be the cluster itself? Or maybe the pcm?

Did you try hitting the top of the dash with your fist to see if they come back to life?

If thy do, the pin/cavity connections on the back of the instrument cluster are probably weak. Connector C2 is the bad one. There is a Chrysler TSB to splice in a new connector to fix the problem.