Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gauge Swap question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Gauge Swap question

Hi guys,

So I have a 95 XJ with the low-end "idiot light"'s. I'd like to have a legit temperature (at the very least) and oil pressure gauge. I've read some posts at another XJ forum that seem to indicate that this is as simple as getting a dashboard gauge from another XJ of similar year that uses proper gauges and replacing the temp switch with a temp sender and the oil switch with an oil sender.
Looking at the temp and oil part pictures, it does appear that the connectors for these are compatible with one another.

Can someone confirm if this is true and if someone has done this themselves is there any advice on pitfalls/problems/tricks that would help?
Old 11-21-2017, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

The sensors on my '96 had the same connections as the dummy sensors. No worries, it's a direct swap. Here's a good article to read, BTW:

http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticles/gauge/Gauge.htm

Best upgrade I've made to my '96.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999

I've been wanting to do this swap in my 99 XJ. I had seen a similar write-up somewhere on the clear-net. And read it might be possible for a shop to also sync the mileage on the digital odometer too. Curious if anyone can definitively either prove or disprove that part of it.
I'll do the swap regardless as I want the useful gauges and I too will probably drive my XJ until something kills it.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:25 PM
CF Veteran

Wow - awesome write up!!! That answered all the questions I was going to pose.

I checked my local junkyard and as luck would have it, they have a 95 (same year as mine) with the gauge cluster I'm looking for - so I will definitely grab that cluster tomorrow before someone else does.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-22-2017, 07:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by PatHenry
Wow - awesome write up!!! That answered all the questions I was going to pose.

I checked my local junkyard and as luck would have it, they have a 95 (same year as mine) with the gauge cluster I'm looking for - so I will definitely grab that cluster tomorrow before someone else does.

Thanks!!!
Do yourself a favor and buy OEM Mopar sensors. The oil pressure sensor I got from Napa leaked, and the crappy coolant sensor I originally got was 20 to 30 degrees off. You're better off paying a little more up front. Sensors off the donor car would be fine too.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:47 AM
CF Veteran

Default Gauge Swap Done

So I've finished swapping the gauges.

I would have liked to get OEM Mopar sensors, but after 22 years the dealership has discontinued the parts and hunting them down was not something I was interested in doing, so I got the temp and Oil pressure sensors from Pep boys since they had the highest review ratings and best price. Both parts were BWD brand and the total for the two was about $50.

Installing the temp sensor was easy. The old sensor was literally falling apart, so the electrical connector came right off, then a 13mm deep socket for the original, and a 9/16 deep socket for the new one and everything came apart and went back together great.

Installing the oil pressure sensor was a pain since the original was NOT 1 and 1/16. I eventually ended up using a 12 point deep socket set that my Dad had that was probably older than I am and pushing the 1" socket on as best as I could. Once I did that the old sensor came right out and the new one went on easily. The problem I then had was the o-ring on the wiring harness prevented the connector from going all the way on. I ended up removing the o-ring and filling the connector with di-electric grease. I kept the o-ring and when I have time I will probably take a razor blade and trim it down.

As far as the actual gauges, the only trouble I had was that the steering column plastic cover piece used T20 torx screws and I had to grab a screwdriver style T20 from the hardware store.

Temp, Oil, Speed and Gas work GREAT now. The Tach and alternator gauges are off, but I'm fine with that - I know when to shift and it's pretty obvious when your alternator goes.