Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gauge not reading Engine Temp?

Old 03-09-2009, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0 High Output - Bored +20 Out
Post Gauge not reading Engine Temp?

Hey yall! Im new here.

I tried searching for my problem, but didn't find anything. So ill post a thread and hope to get some good answers.

So I bought myself a 1993 Jeep Cherokee Country. The engine needed to be rebuilt, so my husband and I ordered all the parts and put her together. She runs beautifully! But my temperature gauge isn't reading anything. We let her run until the thermostat opened, but still not temperature reading on the gauge cluster. We replaced the Thermostat Sending Sensor (one on the block) and the Coolant Sensor (one in the thermostat housing) hoping that was the problem. But still no reading. We checked for faulty fuses, replaced a few, still nothing!

Is there a specific ground that we may have over looked that would fix this problem?

I don't think the cluster is the problem, because when you start the jeep the Temp needle moves all the way to hot, then back to no temp (just power turning on)

And tips would be helpful!

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

I'm not very good with the H.O. motors but on mine there is a temp sensor in the back driver side of the head back by the fire wall. it just has one wire that runs to it. HTH
Old 05-07-2009, 04:20 PM

I already tried replacing the temp sensor. I also have tried getting a new temp gauge from a junk yard and it still didnt fix the problem. I know there are a few posts on this forum with people haveing the same problem. But no one has ever stated how they either fixed their problem or how they worked around it. Any help would be very much apriciated!
Old 05-07-2009, 04:50 PM

Year: 1991 XJ SPORT 2 DR.
Engine: 4.0 600 HP

i had the same prob.. my temp gage did the same thing but mine was an easy fix though the wire just came off the temp sensor.
so yours has to be a bad Temp sensor or a break in the single ire to the gage.

check it again , the one on the block in the back controlls the temp gage
the one on the water jacket controls the electric fan
Old 05-13-2009, 02:34 PM

Checked, the Sensor is pluged in... Checked the wires and dont seem to see any breakage. This is really starting to be a problem! =( I want to drive my jeep! With the weather starting to get in the 100's (Yikes!) I need to be sure she wont over-heat on me, dont want to cause any damage to the new engine!

Is there any way to check voltage to see if there could be a bad wire?

Anybody! PLEASE?
Old 05-13-2009, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

I would pull the connector from the back of the gauge cluster and pull the wire from the water temps sensor on the driver's side rear of the head. You need to figure out which pin the water temp. wire is on the connector to the gauge cluster so you can read that wire out end to end, to see if it is broken or not. If that wire is broken I'm betting it is broken where it goes through the firewall. If you read that wire and it is good and you have already swapped in a new gauge, the only other thing it could be is a jacked up solder run on the gauge cluster.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would double check the temperature sending unit on the block to make sure the knuckleheads at the parts store did not give you the switch for an idiot light instead of a gauge. The switches are different and your gauge will not work with the switch for the idiot light. Some of those guys are to dumb to tie their own shoes much less look up and sell the you the correct parts.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:51 PM

Buck - Sounds like a great idea, I will have to check that this weekend. Im trying to get it ready to take up to the mountains on a 4x4ing trip for Memorial Weekend... =( I dont want to ride with my husband... lol I like his Samurai, but I LOVE my jeep! =) hehe

Winston - Sooo true. Its pretty sad when I go in there (a chick) asking for a part, and they just look at me dumb-founded! But I always seem to get a goood deal! =)
It is the correct part, I even went back and got another one, just to be sure the first one wasnt faulty!

Im trying to get a hold of a Gauge Cluster from a scrap Jeep, but havent been able to come across one here in my little town. I guess I will have to vinture to a different town to see if the circut board is messed up on mine, i read somewhere that could be a problem as well.

Please keep the ideas coming!
Thanks!
Old 05-13-2009, 04:58 PM
CF Veteran

Im trying to get a hold of a Gauge Cluster from a scrap Jeep, but havent been able to come across one here in my little town. I guess I will have to vinture to a different town to see if the circut board is messed up on mine, i read somewhere that could be a problem as well.

Where are you located? I will be stopping at 2 different jys Friday on my way home from a business trip and can look for one while I am there.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:14 PM

Year: 1985 shell
Engine: 1996 6 cylinder Briggs & Stratton

Remove the lead from the sending unit and ground the wire-if gauge and wiring is good the gauge will go all the way to hotter than h***. If gauge doesnt move your prob. is in wiring or printed board. Also check the grounds on the pass. side of the block, they contain grounds for the inst. cluster
Old 05-13-2009, 05:35 PM

Winston - I am located in Visalia, California. I am going to a few wrecking yards on Friday myself to see if I can find one. If not, then I will keep you in mind!

Radio - Will do, thanks for the input!

Ill let you guys know what ends up being the problem, or if I am able to fix it. If we cant find a bad wire, and a different gauge cluster doenst work, then I guess I will have to go to an aftermarket one. But i really hate to have a dead gauge just sitting there... all well....

Please keep the ideas flowing! =)
Thanks!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:39 PM

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0L

Def test the voltage if your getting power its probably something in the gauge cluster. If thats the case id take out the cluster and make sure the cable is still attached.

Its not a challenge to get off the cluster.

Other than than I had this problem in my 98 Chevy Malibu, it worked when it wanted to and it was a faulty ground.

Oh and does it move when you turn on the Jeep? it should go like MAX than come back down. Mine does.

Last edited by Jsny1010; 05-13-2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: oops JEEP not CAR sorry!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:47 PM

Jsny - Great point! It DOES move when I frist start the vehicle, it goes all the way to HOT then back down to no reading. So I HAVE to have some kind of current getting to the gauge! But It doesnt move at all thru driving mode or just sitting there idleing. And as I had said, I already tried a new (used from a wrecking yard) temp gauge. And same thing...

Could this just be a ground insue then? Does anyone know where the specific ground is for the gauge cluster?

Thanks!

PLEASE more ideas! =)
Old 05-13-2009, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by radio flyer
Remove the lead from the sending unit and ground the wire-if gauge and wiring is good the gauge will go all the way to hotter than h***. If gauge doesnt move your prob. is in wiring or printed board. Also check the grounds on the pass. side of the block, they contain grounds for the inst. cluster

Pass side engine block.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

do you have a multi meter with a continuity setting. if you do pull the plugs from both sides of the wire and check to see if you get a reading between the two if not the wire has a break some where

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gauge not reading Engine Temp?