Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gauge Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Gauge Issue

Hello! Let me start off by saying that I'm a complete nubcake and that this is my first post.

I recently swapped my dummy gauge cluster in my '99 Cherokee to a *stock* set with a tach; no problems, went in just fine, everything worked... except for something strange: the rear gate "open" indicator light remained on whenever it wasn't running. This seemed like it wouldn't be a problem, but it completely killed a battery overnight and nearly killed my new one. The light went off whenever it was turned on, though.

I thought that maybe the cluster was to blame, so I went out and got another stock tach gauge cluster - it did the same thing, so I've been keeping the dummy cluster in for the sake of my battery in the meantime (as, for some odd reason, it doesn't do it). My guess is that my ECU is the probable cause, but being the complete newbie I am, I have no idea if it is or isn't.

Also, my check engine light will stay on whenever it's running (with the tach clusters in), but OBD scans won't pull anything up. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like a wire is flipped between the two gauges harnesses.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:24 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 l6

Is the cluster you bought for your year or is it from a different year? And if the check engine light is on and there is no DTCs then there's a wiring issue you need to make sure the cluster is for your year or the plug may be the same but the wire ports may be different and cause issues.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:40 AM

Thanks! One of the clusters is for a 2000-model Cherokee and the other is unknown (I pulled it off at a junkyard, only thing I know is that the gauges function, but it still has the same light issue). I'll check out the wiring.