Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

gauge help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default gauge help

I've searched for quite a while now and just can't find the answer i'm looking for. I have a 88 XJ and it has the stupid indicator lights for the gauges. I don't know if they even work lol, so i'm looking to put an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and possibly a temp gauge to keep this jeep in check. I'm just confused on what it is i'll need besides the gauge. I was looking at a mech. oil pressure gauge, so i assume i need a sending unit as well? If so do i need a special one to match the gauge? I just confused on what all is needed to do the install.

I also just order a 3in lift from Rusty's with full leafs, and pick up a set of 31in Coursers from local Craigslist. 2 of the Coursers are A/t's for the front and M/t's for the rear.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by bjm3.8
I've searched for quite a while now and just can't find the answer i'm looking for. I have a 88 XJ and it has the stupid indicator lights for the gauges. I don't know if they even work lol, so i'm looking to put an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and possibly a temp gauge to keep this jeep in check. I'm just confused on what it is i'll need besides the gauge. I was looking at a mech. oil pressure gauge, so i assume i need a sending unit as well? If so do i need a special one to match the gauge? I just confused on what all is needed to do the install.

I also just order a 3in lift from Rusty's with full leafs, and pick up a set of 31in Coursers from local Craigslist. 2 of the Coursers are A/t's for the front and M/t's for the rear.

Thanks
Hi and welcome to CF. Usually when you get a gauge the sender comes with it unless its mechanical then you need a fitting instead. Oil pressure gauge usually has the parts included. Make sure you put "Teflon" tape on it...Tj
Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 AM

so if i get the gauge and everything is with it where does it connect to the motor?
Old 04-05-2010, 01:51 PM

anymore help guys???
Old 04-05-2010, 02:12 PM

Year: 1996

I believe the Oil pressure sender is close to the oil filter. I have a 96 so the oil filter is mounted differently but you should be able to find the sensor. If you unplug it while it's running your oil light should turn on, then you know where it is at. I'm sure someone will tell you a better description or maybe even a photo.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990 2dr base
Engine: 4.0L

The oil sending unit is next to the oil filter. The temp sensor is on the top, right rear corner of the head.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 high output straight 6

I would stay away from mechanical pressure units. its a hassle routing the line also if you DO decide to go mechanical make sure you take care in routing the pressure line inside of the cabin. Make sure it is away from anything that could chafe or rub a hole in it.

The last thing your gonna want is hot oil spraying inside the cab with you.....

Seen it happen more then once, It's not pretty and makes quite a mess with a chance of injury.

If it were me I would just spend a few more bucks and go electric guages, all the autometer electrics come with sending units also. sometimes depending on thread size and pitch you may need an adapter which you can pick up for less then 5 bucks and it comes with a bunch off differnt fittings with it.

This is just from my opinion and experience of course so take it for what its worth =)

Once you do get some guages installed post some pics I am trying to see different mount ideas so I can install some also .

Matt