Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gauge Cluster question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.Slow
Default Gauge Cluster question?

In quite a pickle, didn't realize that my XJ was canadian, eh. Really want to find an overlay or swap the guages entirely.... any help?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

look like my coolant temp? if so, the needles point to the same numbers, just switch to imperical faces. $3 at pick-n-pull.
I'm having this same issue.
if by some chance that info is not true^^ because I havent checked for sure yet
gauges are $8 a piece. whole cluster is $45. easy swaps

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  38.5 KB

Last edited by Atmos; 05-04-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

That's something I need to search out myself. I just have the temp light, and no tack on my 90. I guess the cluster comes right out, (with the dash apart), then you just stick the new one in. Maybe what I need to do is hit the JY, then sort out the details while I pull the new one. Myself, I'd need the temp "sender" to go with a gauge as well. I have had it apart a few times, not so tough. I do seem to remember something was a tight fit. Seems to be common, it nearly clears.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
That's something I need to search out myself. I just have the temp light, and no tack on my 90. I guess the cluster comes right out, (with the dash apart), then you just stick the new one in. Maybe what I need to do is hit the JY, then sort out the details while I pull the new one. Myself, I'd need the temp "sender" to go with a gauge as well. I have had it apart a few times, not so tough. I do seem to remember something was a tight fit. Seems to be common, it nearly clears.
the plastic cover was a tight fit for me over the steering column.
just did the dummy light swap myself. you're already wired up for the tach so it works right away. I swapped over the cluster, kept my original speedo/odo.
drops right in and works. you need an oil pressure sender and a temp sender also. $30 for oil $20 for temp (new)
Old 05-04-2012, 12:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

IIRC, the temp and oil pressure are direct swaps. The speedos appear to be, acc'd to this:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100485

Last edited by Radi; 05-04-2012 at 12:31 AM. Reason: fixed bad information
Old 05-04-2012, 12:24 AM
CF Veteran

Nah, I don't need to worry about oil pressure, I don't have any!

Actually, thanks, I didn't think of that. I know mu JY guy! He will want to have something else to plug the hole.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Radi
IIRC, the temp and oil pressure are direct swaps. The speedos are not directly interchangeable. They'll work but the calibration will be wrong.
I'm sure my renix sensors should be pretty straight forward. What did supprise me a litle was that the wiring, I guess just swaps easy to add the tack and switch over to gauges. Hard for me to word that...it goes into the dash easy.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:35 AM

welp, I have the dreaded idiot lights, so what would I need to do? I found a full cluster and have an offer on it, hoping the seller will accept It is plug and play, mine will play without the senders for two or three weeks though assuming I get the one I offered on that is.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm sure my renix sensors should be pretty straight forward. What did supprise me a litle was that the wiring, I guess just swaps easy to add the tack and switch over to gauges. Hard for me to word that...it goes into the dash easy.
FWIW, I edited my post because it appears my memory was wrong. (the fun of getting older, lol) The speedos do appear to be interchangeable, provided you swap the entire unit and not just the faceplate.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:43 AM
CF Veteran

Wowa...86?.....I'll bow out here....Cruiser often shows up really early in the AM. I do know the sensors, or senders, are different between a light or a gauge. Cruiser worked at the dealer then, you might want to bounce it off him. (cruiser54, 4-5 AM PST)

Last edited by DFlintstone; 05-04-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:46 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Radi
the fun of getting older,
Lol! Sounds to me like you still have a few miles left on you...(weel' be patient)
Old 05-04-2012, 01:03 AM

Wowa...86?.....I'll bow out here....Cruiser often shows up really early in the AM. I do know the sensors, or senders, are different between a light or a gauge. Cruiser worked at the dealer then, you might want to bounce it off him. (cruiser54, 4-5 AM PST)
Hmmmm, I've read that you need to snag some cable to use an 87-90 cluster. Could that be what your referring to? and I know I need to replace two senders also.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

I swapped mine out a couple weeks ago. Found one at the JY for $10 (gotta love 1/2 off day at Pick-n-Pull). The swap (on my '89) was pretty straight forward, I'd pulled the cluster before to replace a couple bulbs so I had some experience with that. The big dash bezel was kind of a pain to get past the column but it will come off. Everything else was plug and play, I swapped the switches for senders and everything worked perfectly. The whole thing took about an hour and a half.

I found that it was easier to reach up under the dash, near the base of the steering column, and remove the nut on the speedo cable rather than trying to reach behind the cluster to unclip it. I could not get my hand back there but with the speedo cable disconnected near the firewall it lets the cluster come out further which makes it easier to get the two harness plugs out. I suggest plugging it in and testing the bulbs before buttoning everything up.

The gauge needles point the same whether they are metric or imperial. The only difference is the gauge faces with different numbers (Cē for temp and BAR for pressure). If it's important to you to have imperial numbers then I guess swap out the individual gauges or gauge faces but it's not necessary. Your oil pressure and temp gauges should be in the middle-ish. If they're in the red you should be alarmed. Red is red whether it's in metric units or imperial units.

Last edited by F1Addict; 05-04-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by F1Addict
I swapped mine out a couple weeks ago. Found one at the JY for $10 (gotta love 1/2 off day at Pick-n-Pull). The swap (on my '89) was pretty straight forward, I'd pulled the cluster before to replace a couple bulbs so I had some experience with that. The big dash bezel was kind of a pain to get past the column but it will come off. Everything else was plug and play, I swapped the switches for senders and everything worked perfectly. The whole thing took about an hour and a half.

I found that it was easier to reach up under the dash, near the base of the steering column, and remove the nut on the speedo cable rather than trying to reach behind the cluster to unclip it. I could not get my hand back there but with the speedo cable disconnected near the firewall it lets the cluster come out further which makes it easier to get the two harness plugs out. I suggest plugging it in and testing the bulbs before buttoning everything up.

The gauge needles point the same whether they are metric or imperial. The only difference is the gauge faces with different numbers (Cē for temp and BAR for pressure). If it's important to you to have imperial numbers then I guess swap out the individual gauges or gauge faces but it's not necessary. Your oil pressure and temp gauges should be in the middle-ish. If there in the red you should be alarmed. Red is red whether it's in metric units or imperial units.
Good advice, I wish I knew of pick n pulls around houston that don't charge an arm and a leg. The only one I know of is LKQ Greenleaf, they want 250 for ONE 97 door. They should pay me for taking it off their hands!
Old 05-04-2012, 02:23 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by HTXJ
Hmmmm, I've read that you need to snag some cable to use an 87-90 cluster. Could that be what your referring to? and I know I need to replace two senders also.
Oh, just one of those things. When I saw your a 2.5 in an 86,....I just plane don't know what you might need. Surprised that Cruiser hasn't chimed in...

When I put. "86 Cherokee instrument cluster" in Ebay there is one that looks right for $50 US.

Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster question?