Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gas tank question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Gas tank question

I'm new here. I hope this is the right place to ask.

I'm picking up my first Jeep later this week from out of state. It's a very nice 2001 with 83k on it. Seller bought it new, and he's someone I've known a while. It's all stock except for adding coil over shocks - he said to correct the body lean they tend to have when turning on the streets. It's never been off road, and I only need it for weekend use to tow less than 2000lbs, so I really am not concerned about off-road capability.

Anyhow, he says it's got a 13 gallon gas tank. I know from reading a lot here in the past few days that it should have come from the factory with a 20 gallon tank. So, I'm thinking either he's mistaken, or was it possible to have an "optional" 13 gallon tank when it was purchased new? I just don't see the sense in doing that. Or, is it possible that it's a 20 gallon tank with the pickup or overflow at a different height - so "converting" it back to a 20 gallon tank is easy?

I'll be driving it 800 miles home later this week, so I guess I'll find out the truth soon enough.

Any input on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I think you'll find its a 20 gallon tank. AFAIK all of the 4.0s had 20 gallon tanks.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

He's saying it's a 13 gallon tank so you'll seem more impressed with the gas mileage you'll get on the Jeep...

Just kidding (I think.) You'll know soon enough after that first fill-up from near empty.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Engine: 1987 4.0L (242 CID) I6 RENIX FI 242 173 hp (129 kW) @ 4600 rpm, 224 lb•ft (304 N-m) @ 4000RPM

x2 on the 20gal.
There is however the option for a larger capacity tank, but if he is claiming 13 then its probably the 20.

I usually fill mine up about 13 gal when im hovering somewhere above the red. so he might be going by that...
Old 07-18-2011, 03:55 PM

Yeah, I'm hoping it holds 20, but I can deal with whatever. For as much as I plan to use it, I could live with 13.

The seller seems pretty sure that he got it with the "optional" 13 gallon tank, but based upon everything I've managed to learn about Cherokees, that just doesn't add up to me. He says he's always filled it up when it was down to about 1/4 tank, and it takes 10 gallons.

I'm also guessing it could be a gauge accuracy issue. Any input on that?

Many years ago, I bought a 1985 Ford Bronco II to replace a 1991 Ranger that I rolled. The ranger had a 14.6 gallon tank, so when the Bronco II was near E and took 12-13 gallons to fill up, I always assumed it had a 14 or so gallon tank, just like the ranger. One day the Bronco II tank rust progressed to a leak, so I took it to a buddy to have it replaced. Per his request, I took it to him on E. He was not happy to find that almost 12 gallons in the tank remained that he had to siphon out. Turns out that my Bronco II came with a 23 gallon tank, and E REALLY meant HALF FULL. From then on, my tripmeter became my gas guage, and I would fill up every 400 miles in the winter and 450 miles in the summer. Maybe something similar is going on with this Cherokee???
Old 07-18-2011, 04:00 PM

Side note: The seller has also said that he's getting 12mpg's at 70mph, which doesn't seem quite right either. I know Jeeps aren't known for exceptional fuel economy, but perhaps I'm running into some simple math errors here .
Old 07-18-2011, 04:38 PM

Engine: 1987 4.0L (242 CID) I6 RENIX FI 242 173 hp (129 kW) @ 4600 rpm, 224 lb•ft (304 N-m) @ 4000RPM

Originally Posted by outtatime
Yeah, I'm hoping it holds 20, but I can deal with whatever. For as much as I plan to use it, I could live with 13.

The seller seems pretty sure that he got it with the "optional" 13 gallon tank, but based upon everything I've managed to learn about Cherokees, that just doesn't add up to me. He says he's always filled it up when it was down to about 1/4 tank, and it takes 10 gallons.

I'm also guessing it could be a gauge accuracy issue. Any input on that?

Many years ago, I bought a 1985 Ford Bronco II to replace a 1991 Ranger that I rolled. The ranger had a 14.6 gallon tank, so when the Bronco II was near E and took 12-13 gallons to fill up, I always assumed it had a 14 or so gallon tank, just like the ranger. One day the Bronco II tank rust progressed to a leak, so I took it to a buddy to have it replaced. Per his request, I took it to him on E. He was not happy to find that almost 12 gallons in the tank remained that he had to siphon out. Turns out that my Bronco II came with a 23 gallon tank, and E REALLY meant HALF FULL. From then on, my tripmeter became my gas guage, and I would fill up every 400 miles in the winter and 450 miles in the summer. Maybe something similar is going on with this Cherokee???

this is my 2nd xj, granted both have been pre 90 models, but ive never heard of a 13gal option. and ive heard of a lot of options, from bigger tanks to extra lift & amplifiers from the factory to bone stock, which mine always seem to be when i get em...

gas gauge could be a problem. but so could bigger tires w/o re-gearing..
problem is, some people on here get 7mpg and some get more.

I happen to be right at about 18.5mpg, myself. I check it at every fill up, to make sure nothing is going wrong.

I have an exhaust leak, so I am running a lil rich. (you can smell it)
I am hoping once I fix that to gain an extra 1mpg or 2 mpg.

One week i will fill up and go till i am close to empty & fill it up and then when im at 470 miles fill it up and check it
the next week i fill up, drive 240 miles and fill it again.
(this works out for me because of my driving habits with work and stuff...)

18.8 mpg @ 470miles - i fill up 2x for a total of 25 gal+/-
18.46 mpg @ 240miles - i fill once for a total of 13 gal+/-

That being said, bring a gas can and drive it till its empty and then drive it to a gas station and fill er up and you will have your answer. W/o checking the mpg yourself, wont really know.
Sad to think your 01 is getting that crappy a mpg though.

Of course a good tune up could be all that you need to gain 1 or 2 mpg if it is just that bad.
Cap & Rotor, Plugs & Wires, Oil Change, O2 sensor x2, seafoam the gas tank and of course the right gearing and properly inflated tires.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:39 PM

make that a coil pack for your 2001
i have the cap & rotor..

only other thing i can think of, replaced the gas tank with a smaller one? but why...
Old 07-18-2011, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the info. The seller is meticulous about his vehicles. He's been sending me all kinds of maintenance info about the Jeep. I know the plugs are fresh, as he's been telling me which plugs work and which ones don't - he's referenced something about how the 2001's had the distributor-less ignition, which is a good thing???

He's got records of all his oil changes, mobil 1 every 3-5k, and at 60k he flushed out the differentials and transfer case and added Royal Purple synthetic. Plus, the thing is spotless. He travels for his job, company vehicle, (I know, my wife handles his scheduling/travel plans), so that's why this Cherokee sits a lot and has so few miles for its age.

Wheels/gearing is all stock. Just the shocks have been changed - added the coil overs. His opionion was that the suspension is too mushy on the streets and the body roll in corners needed correcting - thus the coil overs.

I'll be driving it home on Thursday, so we'll find out what the real mileage is then, I guess. I too am one of those guys who checks mileage on EVERY tankful of ALL my cars. Always have, always will. It's just too easy to do, and it can tell you when you have a problem to fix.

At this point, my bet on the gas tank size is "human error" exaggerated by potential "guage accuracy", and as far as mileage goes, probably similar "human/math error". I've met lots of people who "think" they know the mpg's of their vehicle, but when you question them, they're really just guessing. Either you're checking the mileage properly and accurately, or you're not. If you're not, then whatever mpg number you believe you're getting is just a guesstimate.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:54 PM

Yeah, why would anyone replace the tank with a smaller one? Makes no sense. Plus, he's not saying he replaced it, he's saying his came with the "optional" smaller one. I think there's just some confusion and foggy memory going on here. After all, it was purchased new 10 years ago.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Coil overs were for helping keep the rear up when towing or otherwise loaded. XJs are known to have saggy leaf springs, but have sway bars to keep the body roll reasonable.

My '96 has 158K and gets ~20mpg at 70mph with 89 octane. 87 gave me less mileage, and 92-93 didn't improve over 89.

12mpg would suck.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:41 AM

OK, well I just drove my "new" 2001 Cherokee 800 miles non-stop yesterday, so I've now answered some questions.

I first ran the tank down to a sliver below the 1/4 mark. Pump shut off at 13.5 gallons, but it was easy for me to squeeze it up to 14.9 gallons. I then ran that tankful on the PA turnpike, through the "mountain" region. With the cruise set at 70mph and the a/c cranking, I got 19.3mpg. I was impressed. My 2003 Highlander wouldn't have done any better. What I really liked was that this Cherokee stays in OD (doesn't keep dropping into 3rd) with the cruise set during the hilly driving. My Highlander would have been tap-dancing between 3rd and OD all day.

On the next tankful, I filled up when it was right on 1/4. I squeezed in 14.4 gallons at that fill-up. That tank took me across Ohio, all flat, cruise set at 73mph, and I got 22.1mpg. My Highlander has never broken 21mpg, so I guess you could say I'm thrilled with the fuel economy of my new Jeep.

So, I'm gonna say it's definitely the 20 gallong tank, but now that I'm home with it, I'll carry a gas can and run it dry - just for blanks and giggles.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:46 AM

Side Note:
I bought this Cherokee from a state w/o front license plates, and my state requires them. This Jeep apparently never had the front plate bracket. Any ideas on where to find/buy one, and how much I should expect to spend?