Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problems by Sympton
Print Wikipost

GAS smell in CABIN,,wtf?

Old 06-13-2009, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default GAS smell in CABIN,,wtf?

Hi folks, the following is a cut-paste entry reply of mine to someone elses' issue with the fuel smell in the cabin, I did it to alleviate re-typing everything, thanks!

I got the same problem guys (hey, new to the forum here from Virginia)
wonder if ANYONE can for sure pinpoint the fuel smell?
I have had this beauty for over ten years now and it always annoyed me in the summer when the cabin would fill with the smell of gas when drivin' down the road when outside temperature is over 80 deg F. There is no fuel or oil leaks whatsoever in this Cherokee as I have taken real good care of her over the past ten years.
I have 260,000.00 miles on her and she runs just great!

Its just that freaking fuel smell.....please if anyone knows precisely what the issue is I would really welcome the feedback.

I have checked everywhere for loose hoses etc (on gastank etcetcetcetc) nothing loose.

I just read somewhere here (after doing a search) that someone had a cracked exhaust manifold? how would that smell like gas? its already burned up after going out the exhaust port isn't? and it would smell more like exhaust fumes than gas fumes. I had this problem prior to replacing my exhaust system, and I still do, so I know its not the exhuast.

And I DEFINITELY have fuel smell in the cab.

Anyways, appreciate anyone's help and I will be back to ask other crazy questions to get my girl up snuff for some trekkin!!

many thanks!

cpnwrench
Old 06-13-2009, 06:58 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

check the breather hoses on the gas tank when it get hot out the fuel inside the tank expands and the excess fumes get released you could have a cracked or broken hose
Old 06-13-2009, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by jd4x426
check the breather hoses on the gas tank when it get hot out the fuel inside the tank expands and the excess fumes get released you could have a cracked or broken hose
Where is this hose mounted and where does it end at? i'd like to know this for the future.....
Old 06-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

mudd it parallels the fill spout in the left rear. Many times the fill hose also has dried out and cracked. Both or either could cause that fuel smell. Another thing to check is that there is no leak under the hood like a bad o-ring on an injector, or a leak on the quick connect fitting at the fuel pressure regulator.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993

there is a vac can by the fire wall next to the oil filter. check for dried out hoses, coming from and going to. That is were your fuel system vents to. also running on a near empty tank will produce more fumes then a full tank. try to consider a half full tank is on empty and keep filling from there.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:32 AM

Default fuel smell in cabin

Hey , I forgot to say which XJ I drive...

its a '91 sport.

like I said, I have checked the vent tube from gas tank and it is fine.

as far as a "vac can by the fire wall next to the oil filter," I have never seen that on my jeep.

but I will check tommorrow

thanks everyone for your help!

cpnwrench
Old 06-15-2009, 04:42 PM

Default GAS smell fixed!

Thanks to everyone here for suggestions in the elusive GAS vapor smell in the cabin of my jeep when my tank was about on 1/4.

Problem solved!

Found two areas which could have been the culprit....

1st one was (oh, yeah found the fuel vapor canister, I forgot it was right there) , the fat plastic hose which goes from the canister over to the air breather hose on the TB. I used a zip-tie to cinch the end of the hose onto the canister (just felt a little too loose, it isn't cracked or worn out just felt loose).

2nd one, the fat plastic hose again, It is formed and built to run across the entire length of the firewall except where it passes the brake booster, there isn't enough clearance for this tube(along with the skinny one which goes to intake manifold), to be tucked up and underneath the body work seam line of the firewall where it meets the windshield horizontal plate.
it appeared to be a hairline fracture along the length of this pipe at that area near the brake booster, so I used some JB weld epoxy let it set for an hour or so then used a very thick piece of cardboard I cut to wrap around the piping (about a 3" length) and use zip-ties to buffer the pipe from that firewall/windshield seam.

Once again, many thanks for everyones' input I am truly grateful!!!

cpnwrench