Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gas leak at the fuel rail

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Gas leak at the fuel rail

Hey guys, my XJ is absolutely gushing out gas at the back of the fuel rail around the fuel line fitting. I had taken the fuel rail off and everything a few days ago to change the exhaust manifold and I had it all hooked back up right (I thought) but I think there is an O-ring that fits inside the fuel line connector, and I have no idea what size it is or anything due to the fact that the old O-ring is no longer there. Could anyone be able to point me in the right direction as to what I should be looking for? Thanks.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:59 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

If you go to your local auto parts store and ask them about it, they will point you towards the 'dorman help' section. Lots of little useful misc. parts found there. Let the counterman assist as he 'should' be more knowledgable about what exactly you need. Also, if you can bring in any related part/piece to check for size, that's always helpful. Good luck!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000.1999,1996

Originally Posted by Ktown
Hey guys, my XJ is absolutely gushing out gas at the back of the fuel rail around the fuel line fitting. I had taken the fuel rail off and everything a few days ago to change the exhaust manifold and I had it all hooked back up right (I thought) but I think there is an O-ring that fits inside the fuel line connector, and I have no idea what size it is or anything due to the fact that the old O-ring is no longer there. Could anyone be able to point me in the right direction as to what I should be looking for? Thanks.
Go buy a kit from the dealer so you get the right one's. If it start's to leak again when your driving and you don't know it, well Gas leak at the fuel rail-poofan.jpg
Old 12-09-2011, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992

X2 get that from the dealer. It's pretty important that your Xj doesn't car-b-q!