Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gas gauge not working in rain

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Gas gauge not working in rain

For some reason, whenever my Jeep gets wet, the gas gauge becomes completely useless. Yesterday (when it was dry), the gas light just came on and I was starting to run low. This morning (a bit damp and sprinkling) I suddenly had about 1/8 more gas in my tank. Then this afternoon (actively raining), I then magically had a half tank. And after I got home and did the gauge diagnostic test to see if it did anything (it didn't), I checked and now had a full tank of gas. Has anyone else had this problem? (Also, feel free to move this if it's in the wrong section)
Old 05-07-2013, 04:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Qmiller99
For some reason, whenever my Jeep gets wet, the gas gauge becomes completely useless. Yesterday (when it was dry), the gas light just came on and I was starting to run low. This morning (a bit damp and sprinkling) I suddenly had about 1/8 more gas in my tank. Then this afternoon (actively raining), I then magically had a half tank. And after I got home and did the gauge diagnostic test to see if it did anything (it didn't), I checked and now had a full tank of gas. Has anyone else had this problem? (Also, feel free to move this if it's in the wrong section)
You posted in the right forum.

Maybe condensation is forming in the fuel pump module electrical connector. Crawl under the Heep near the rear axle, and look up towards the fuel tank. You should see an electrical connector for the fuel pump. As well as power and ground for the pump, the fuel quantity circuit wiring goes throgh it. Seperate the connector and look at the pins and pin sockets in both sides of the connector. Look for corrosion and/or evidence of moisture. Get some CRC Electronics Cleaner and spray both sides down. Get some Di-Electric Grease (tune Up Grease) and apply a thin coat around the the rubber seal on the connector and reconnect.

If the pins and sockets were clean then the problem lies elsewhere.

Check back in.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:56 PM

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! Since this isn't a life or death problem, I'll probably get around to this problem this weekend. It definitely seemed like an electrical issue, so hopefully what you suggested works-I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Qmiller99
Yesterday (when it was dry), the gas light just came on and I was starting to run low.
This morning (a bit damp and sprinkling) I suddenly had about 1/8 more gas in my tank.
Then this afternoon (actively raining), I then magically had a half tank.
And after I got home a now had a full tank of gas.
At 3.60/gal I like where this is going.
Just siphon it off as necessary to keep the tank from overflowing.

I'm guessing Ken has it right, a bit of dirt in that connector, or the tank ground might become conductive when it gets damp, throwing the gauge off.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:20 PM

Well, I figured out the problem! After getting the CRC cleaner and tune up grease, and finally having some free time, I looked under the Jeep and found this:

No wonder my gas gauge wasn't working, the wire was completely disconnected and the other ones were close to splitting too. Me and my dad were able to just splice in some new wire with crimp connectors, wrap it in electrical tape, then two layers of duck tape, and it all works now!

Also, sorry about the late reply- being a high school student with a job doesn't give you too much free time
Attached Thumbnails Gas gauge not working in rain-wires.jpg