Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gas gauge/digital gauge broken-HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L
Default Gas gauge/digital gauge broken-HELP!

I ran out of gas a couple times I know stupid but since that happened my gas gauge is very wrong even the digital reader that is supposed to give me an accurate reading of how many miles I can go before I run out is so not accurate at all!! Last time I ran out it said I had 108 miles left in my tank and had between 1/4 and 1/2 tank of gas. I've filled my tank, which didn't fix the problem, I've done the take off the battery cables thing, even tonight did the take off the cables,put cables back on, turn key but don't start, turn on headlight for 10 seconds BLAH,BLAH,BLAH it didn't work! Have I screwed up my Jeep forever? Can it be fixed without taking out a loan? I have a 98 GJC tsi and I love my Jeep but after 160,000 it's one thing after another, is it time to throw it away?
Old 11-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L High Output

Woah now. These things happen, with ANY vehicle. There's no need to get in a panic. The lucky thing here is you have a second vehicle so you have all the time in the world to figure out the problem. Take a deep breath.

Now when you "run out" of gas, is there still fuel in the tank? Could be something as simple as a fuel delivery problem.

Maybe your digital gauge is calibrated wrong. How many miles are you getting out of a "tank"?

Let's take this step by step. In any case though...no, you won't have to take out a loan to fix the problem. These things are cheap to fix.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L

Okay, so on a full tank of gas I'm not really sure because I dont usually fill up but I can tell you that I get 12mpg. How would I find out if there is gas in the tank when I run out? Thank you!