Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

funny fuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 TD
Default funny fuel

hi just been approached by some old mechanic asking if i use vegetable oil in my jeep. i told him not but it got me thinking would it be ok. after trawling the net for a couple of hours i found that if it has a bosch fuel pump it should be ok. but where this is i dont know, also what make are the pumps as stock and does anyone know if i just did a 1:4 of oil to diesel would this hurt? thanks in advance
Old 08-20-2008, 01:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

I wouldn't run diseal at all in a gas engine. Diesal takes pressure to ingnite unless you you have a hot hot spark.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

Dan... Are you in the UK???

I ask as I have heard that the UK is really cracking down on people running either SVO or WVO systems. You don't pay fuel taxes and thats what their problem is.

The 2.5l motor you have is an Indirect Injection motor, which is the preferred one for WVO/SVO usage.

There are a couple of problems using SVO/WVO fueling though. First, Veggie Oil is several times the viscosity of diesel, one way to overcome this is to heat the oil before using it. The main draw back with this is remembering to clear the system of VO before shutting down.

Also you need to be keenly aware of your oil source. You can filter all the particulate matter out of the oil.. but what are the soluables in the oil??? Some of the things dissolved into the oil can be VERY nasty to engine parts.

And I still have to say.. I am DAMN jealous of you Europeans, all those diesels all over. And we can't even get a decent one from the factory.....

Last edited by whowey; 08-20-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:34 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Hi Dan,

if you are UK based - I was running a Diesel VW Golf for a while, using Veg Oil.

1st the tax position - at the moment you can use or produce upto 2500 litres of biofuels - including SVO/WVO - before the government will hit you for any duty. Which is nice

Most people recommend a dual tank setup with preheater / heat exchanger for the SVO - it's a lot thicker than diesel - also as mentioned above you want an IDI (indrect injection) engine & a bosch fuel pump. The conversion kits start at about £600, but with a bit of nous you can rig one yourself for a fraction of that cost. All parts are available on ebay etc. There are various horror stories about damaging your engine, but for every doom merchant is another evangelist so make your own decisions!

I usually ran a premix of 50/50 diesel / SVO - saved me about £15 a tank of fuel. (too cheap/lazy to install a kit)

No difference in mileage or power - just a little harder to start on a cold morning. Anything over 75% could be a pig to start & eventually after a while on about %99 veg oil the pump 'gummed up' & the car refused to run.

Solved that one with a litre of pure diesel to prime the pump and not taking the whatever so much and sticking to 50/50.

If you go for used or WVO then its dirt cheap & if you filter it yourself (filters go for £20 ish) then you really are laughing as you can supply enough for your own needs & still produce enough to sell & cover your costs without pissing off the tax man.

try Clicking Here for more info.

I am selling the Golf (45+mpg) now as I have now got a 4 litre Cherokee (14 mpg).

And people say I have no sense of humour!

DD

Oh yeah 1st post - so hi guys! nice site

Last edited by DogDay; 08-21-2008 at 06:42 AM. Reason: added URL
Old 08-22-2008, 04:04 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 TD

thanks for the advice everybody, i am in the uk and also the engine is the diesel one so from what i have read i can just add a little vegetable oil into the diesel just to top it up on the cheap? i know someone that works in a chippy so could get the oil cheap also.