Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fun fun!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fun fun!

Put it off long enough. Tried my darndest to get the lock ring off with the tank in place. Just wasn't going to happen. Whoever was in there last completely covered everything (and I do mean everything) with a 1/4" thick layer of silicone. Couldn't even find the tabs until I wire wheeled away a couple layers. Even after all that the first two tabs broke off and the third was inaccessible due to axle and driveshaft being in the way.

Destined to pull the stinking tank. Oh well, now I can flush it and make sure it's nice n clean. This time we'll get the lock ring on right.

You can still see a butt load of it goobered at the top of the hole where the wire wheel couldn't reach while the tank was still in the truck. I'll give him credit for one thing. He bought some really tough silicone.

What's left of the lock ring.

Two broken tabs on the lock ring. I was beginning to wonder if I could get it off even with the tank out.

The pump is in bad shape and pretty rusty. Must've had some water/moisture in the tank at some point in time.

Last edited by danimal; 11-08-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4L

thanks for the report. doesnt look like much fun
Old 11-08-2009, 02:02 PM

Sorry I'm venting. Sometimes it helps even if it's just the internet.

Rinsed the tank out three times and stuff just kept coming. When you touch it, it just disintegrates and turns into a black paste.

All cleaned up and ready for the new pump. Note the yellow paint JY markings on the tank.

Tank was full of this stuff. This was the second rinse. More came out the first time. It's bits of hose and has some writing/printed information on it. Sorta glad I pulled the tank now. Even though it would've probably never made it past the fuel pump's sock filter, it makes me feel better to know it's clean.

Last edited by danimal; 11-08-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:13 PM

Engine: 4.0 L Inline Six

Glad that gunk is out, thank you very much!
Saw the pictures too...so jealous! Wish i could have been there.

oh its harley
Old 11-08-2009, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by XJkid_15
Glad that gunk is out, thank you very much!
Saw the pictures too...so jealous! Wish i could have been there.

oh its harley
It was a short little deal bud. Wish you coulda been there too. Better yet, wish you were here to help out with the fuel tank and the big old rock guard that covered it. Kinda bulky and heavy.

On the way back from Pleasant (where we go shooting) the thing was cutting out real bad on the hills and it had 3/4 of a tank of gas. That was the last straw. Hadda fix it.

The fuel pump and lock ring had to be ordered and won't get here until mid next week so you get to help put it back together.

Oh yeah, adjusted the steering box and did that ever help out. Steering is nice n quick now.

Last edited by danimal; 11-08-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:10 PM

Engine: 4.0 L Inline Six

DANG. Gotta drive it now, so much has changed in such a short while. A little hard packed in there with all the other cars though...oh yeah and no gas tank
Old 11-14-2009, 03:05 PM

FYI just in case someone thinks they might need a new fuel pump.

Symptoms were

Stalling out and dying when cornering with 1/2 tank or less.

Stumbling and bogging when going up relatively steep hills and giving it the gas, or pulling out to pass someone. Basically any time that you had to gas it hard.

Fuel pump fixed all that stuff. It was a mess both inside the tank and the filter. Full of rust and sediment.

Rather than just changing the pump/motor, we got the "works in a drawer" fuel pump sender etc. It was $100 from Autozone and worked out fine. Had to order the retainer ring too as I had beat the living carp out of the one that was on there and couldn't use it again.

Last edited by danimal; 11-14-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:43 PM

Engine: 4.0L I6

Good job man. I've been putting off doing mine, but it needs it. Cutting out bad! What did you clean/flush your tank out with??
Old 11-14-2009, 05:05 PM

I did the ultimate no no and used water. I wanted to use diesel, but I'm not setup to dispose of it properly. The radiator shop wanted $75 to clean out the tank.

What I did was make up a 3' long 3/4" PVC extension for my wet/dry vacuum cleaner with the tip of the PVC pipe cut at an angle. I rinsed the tank with water, but as soon as I finished rinsing it out, I situated the tank in such a way that whatever water was left was right below the hole for the fuel pump. I used the wet/dry vacuum and PVC extension to suck up whatever moisture was left. It didn't amount to more than a few beads of water. Then sprayed the inside of the tank with a film of WD40 to keep it from rusting while I waited for my parts to arrive (couple days). Barely enough room for me to get my wrist and the can in the hole, but it seemed to work alright. There was no rust when I checked it before reassembling.

The idea behind the WD is to displace the moisture and keep the tank from rusting. It must not have bothered it too much. It fired right up after putting in the new fuel pump. I thought about getting some cylinder fogger like you use in boat and jetski motors to winterize, and bomb the tank, but I don't think it was necessary.

Whatever you do, if you use water don't let the tank air dry with the moisture in the tank. It'll rust real quick for sure.

This seemed to work out o.k.

Last edited by danimal; 11-14-2009 at 06:13 PM.