Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fuel tank

Hi all, I have a 1991 jeep cherokee briarwood. me and my dad recently took the gas tank/fuelpump off due to the jeep sitting for 5 years and accumulating rust in the tank. when we removed the tank we cut the tank bracket hangers which hang in the body(due to them being rusted and also trying to finish in a hurry lol). the hangers with the thread on the bottom where the straps connect. i was wondering the exact name of the hangers and where i could buy new ones. thanks all
Old 02-01-2011, 06:31 AM

no one? lol
Old 02-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

fuel tank straps? junk yard?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by SlackJaw
fuel tank straps? junk yard?
or the dealership $$$$$
Old 02-02-2011, 11:28 AM

Default Tank Hanger Fix

Wallka,

Two weeks ago I replaced the gas tank in my son's 92. 18 years of rust on the hangers made it impossible to remove the nuts on the threaded portion of the hanger so I cut them off as well. I was unable to find replacements so here is what I did. The hanger rods are 3/8" diameter steel rods. I used the upper portion of the rod that fits into the key hole slot. I used a 3/8" x 18 die and threaded about two inches of the upper portion of the hanger. I went to Home depot and bought (2) 3/8" rod couplings and a 2'-0" length of 3/8" all thread rod. I cut the all thread in half and coupled the upper portion of the existing hanger rod to the 12" piece of all thread. New nuts and washers and reinstalled the tank. If you have access to a welder you could just bend the end of a piece of 3/8" all thread at a ninty degree angle and weld a washer to the short end of the bend and make new 1 piece hangers. I did the job at my son's house and did not have my welder so I spliced to hanger rod. If you make new rods you will have to check what size washer will fit through the key hole slot on the vehicle.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:47 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Mavis5
Wallka,

Two weeks ago I replaced the gas tank in my son's 92. 18 years of rust on the hangers made it impossible to remove the nuts on the threaded portion of the hanger so I cut them off as well. I was unable to find replacements so here is what I did. The hanger rods are 3/8" diameter steel rods. I used the upper portion of the rod that fits into the key hole slot. I used a 3/8" x 18 die and threaded about two inches of the upper portion of the hanger. I went to Home depot and bought (2) 3/8" rod couplings and a 2'-0" length of 3/8" all thread rod. I cut the all thread in half and coupled the upper portion of the existing hanger rod to the 12" piece of all thread. New nuts and washers and reinstalled the tank. If you have access to a welder you could just bend the end of a piece of 3/8" all thread at a ninty degree angle and weld a washer to the short end of the bend and make new 1 piece hangers. I did the job at my son's house and did not have my welder so I spliced to hanger rod. If you make new rods you will have to check what size washer will fit through the key hole slot on the vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Great fix Mavis

Should be a fuel tank strap replacent sticky