Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

fuel system problems. Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation fuel system problems. Please Help!

Currently have a 96 cherokee. 4.0 xj country.
first off my problem is that about a min after driving i stop getting acceleration and seem to hear a couple thumping noises in engine. i let off gas re apply and then im fine. untill the other day it happened to me for the first time on the highway going about 55 and stop gettin acceleration. as i got to my destination i went to start my car and was not getting gas no pressure in fuel line outside on fuel pump. got it towed home and it worked fine. still have the acceleration problem here and there too. **Note when jeep wouldnt start my fuel gauge wasnt giving a reading. the fuel pump has been replaced months ago and i am replacing the fuel filter tomorrow. (high miles) please help! $$$

Last edited by bgould23; 05-04-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l 6Cyl

Originally Posted by bgould23
Currently have a 96 cherokee. 4.0 xj country.
first off my problem is that about a min after driving i stop getting acceleration and seem to hear a couple thumping noises in engine. i let off gas re apply and then im fine. untill the other day it happened to me for the first time on the highway going about 55 and stop gettin acceleration. as i got to my destination i went to start my car and was not getting gas no pressure in fuel line outside on fuel pump. got it towed home and it worked fine. still have the acceleration problem here and there too. **Note when jeep would start my fuel gauge wasnt giving a reading. the fuel pump has been replaced months ago and i am replacing the fuel filter tomorrow. (high miles) please help! $$$
Honestly with low fuel pressure and gauge issues id say you are due for a fuel pump. You may want to try replacing the entire sending unit. I had similar issues with my xj. Iv heard bad reviews about fuel pumps from autozone but I bought the sending unit from them and have had no since issues.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Might check the integrity of the FP wiring harness and connectors, and for a good ground back at the tank.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:44 AM

You are gonna have to wait till it won't start again to figure out what the problem is. Just let it idle for a while and see if it will shut off just sitting there. If it does there are a few things you can check.

Make sure you have no fuel by pushing on the valve of the test fitting at the fuel rail.
If you have no fuel, check for power and ground at the fuel pumpconnector at the tank.
If you have power and ground, it is sure to be the pump.
If power or ground is missing, disconnect the connector and apply power and ground yourself to the pump side of the connector and have somebody see if it will start.

Start with those things and we will go from there.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:18 PM

Okay thanks guys. i will check ground wires. and harness. still doesnt explain why i fail to get acceleration only when i start off driving after that its fine.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bgould23
Okay thanks guys. i will check ground wires. and harness. still doesnt explain why i fail to get acceleration only when i start off driving after that its fine.
Might have more than one problem going on. You said the fuel pressure dropped to zero and the gauge quit temporarily, that points to a wiring problem back at the tank or a failing pump assembly.
There could also be a TPS or other issue on top of it.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:29 PM

turns out there was a three legged turtle living in the gas tank... smh