Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel system issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Fuel system issues

About a week ago I put fuel system cleaner (gumout) in my 91 Jeep Cherokee. Later that same day it started idling hard and would randomly die while idling. Read somewhere that stirring up old gunk could cause stuff to clog. Changed my fuel filter over the weekend and it seemed fine until yesterday when it started again. I was thinking of having a shop do a full fuel system clean (some say they clean the injectors, valves, etc.) but not sure where to go and what questions I should ask. Any suggestions or if anyone has had this problem.

Another question I have friend with an 87 Jeep Cherokee who may give it to me to use for parts. Just wondering if parts are compatible and which ones. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: H.O. 4.0 I6

My guess is that your filter's clogged again, if the first one was clogged, sometimes you have to go through a few fuel filters when you run into a problem like you've got. Hopefully it's just the filter and not a blockage in the fuel line somewhere. As far as the '87 goes, I think a lot of the parts are interchangeable, I'd definitely take it if you can get it for free or cheap and have the room to store a parts vehicle, I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable will give you a better answer about what parts you can swap between the '87 and your '91. Good luck getting it fixed bud, hope it's something simple
Old 04-21-2010, 03:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

take the 87 and check the rear end, 87s were the most common for D44, if it has the 4.0 then pull it, and build a stroker, use the head, intake, tb off the 91