Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel system issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Default Fuel system issues

Have developed an issue with my 93 XJ over the last bit, it started out about 5 months ago when I was driving down the highway. I was traveling at speed when the engine just died, I got it to the side of the road and restarted it without issue and carried on but it happened only once or twice more after that till about 3 weeks ago when i would be driving along and sudden the engine rpms dropped right to zero then came back to life then did it again two or three times in quick succession then died right out. I had to bring the jeep to a full stop at the side of the road I attempted to restart it and this time it took a bit to restart but finally did and seemed fine after that.

About a week after that I had just pulled away to the house and she died right off and took forever to get started again but finally did and again it seemed fine I got to work and home with only one "hiccup" on the way home. Today she started really acting up, rpm dropped to zero then back up to running speed then to zero then running then if I let the rpm drop below 2000 it would start bucking with the rpm dropping off them back up. Then died at the lights and took forever to restart then acted up agin, I got it home and climbed under the jeep and checked all my rubber fuel lines for blockage and checked the connections at the fuel rail and everything seemed fine. I disconnected the inbound fuel line to the rail and powered up the fuel pump and it did pump out fuel. Long story short I am at a loss, I am thinking something caught in the fuel pump intake or a bad fuel pump... Any suggestions would help!

Thanks
Old 09-11-2012, 12:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I-6

I'd replace the fuel filter first. Check the vacuum line going to the fuel pressure regulator. You can get a guage to check the actual fuel pressure. Check the ground and conections on the pump. I'd try all the "cheap" stuff before replacing the pump. Also might check the vacuum line going to the MAP sensor. I had a similar problem and it was this line. It'd get warm and get sucked closed. I got a short piece of metal brake line and cut and bent it to fit and haven't had a problem since.