Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel Speed Odometer gauges not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fuel Speed Odometer gauges not working

I am new to this forum, this is my first post, I hope I am doing this right. I have searched through existing threads but not found a good answer to my particular issue, I am hoping you can help.
I have a 96 cherokee SE 4dr, 4wd, auto, I6, it has close to 270k on it. I recently installed a salvage yard tranny, everything works great EXCEPT the instrument cluster including fuel gauge, speedometer & odometer. The lights on the instrument cluster work, I can't tell you if the dummy lights work or not (they are not on). This was not a problem prior to changing the tranny. Also intriguing, is that the fuel gauge reads way past full all of the time. I have checked, double checked and triple checked the wiring harnesses, pulled the cluster and checked the connection there. Checked all fuses (under kick panel on drivers side and under the hood passenger side) and even hit the panel as suggested on other threads.
I believe it must be a wiring issue which is certainly my weak suite. I cannot find a good answer as to which fuses, wires, etc control what (I have searched the manual & online).
I can understand how I could have somehow done something to the speedometer and odometer wiring, but I don't understand the fuel gauge, how would that suddenly not work also?

I would appreciate any wisdom you have to share on this subject.
Keith
Old 04-07-2010, 02:39 PM

Year: 1996

Anyone have any experience with this at all? Anything you have would be helpful.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 04-07-2010, 08:15 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L
Cool

I dont know if your 96 is close to my 87 but i found a corroded fuse for the guages.My warning lights did not work either.They are on the same fuse.Pull out the fuse and clean it and check the connections in the slot also.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:46 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Samething happening to my 98 Cherokee. It is a VERY common problem. Based on what I've been able to find out, there is a problem with a connector in the dash which has to be cleaned and repaired. There was a recall for this problem also. I can not find out how much the repair is. If I find out anything else, I'll post.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:27 PM

Year: sc

I know this thread has been dead for a few years now... but can anyone confirm the fix of swapping out the dash connector?

Thanks y'all!