Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel sending unit leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel sending unit leaking

My fuel sending unit on a 96 cherokee is leaking from the gold bolt on it, well when I'm parked on a downhill slope fuel leaks out when I'm level it doesn't leak at all, and when you look at it that piece looks to be leaking, could it be from overfilling the tank?
Attached Thumbnails Fuel sending unit leaking-image-527743084.jpg   Fuel sending unit leaking-image-1960603901.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 08:37 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

tough to say from the pictures. the sending unit doesn't look bad but i have never seen one with a gold bolt like that. has it been modified?

is it the sending fuel unit with the pressure regulator in the fuel tank (like the link below)?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/51306_0147.htm

it looks like they did try to modify it/fix it with that gold nut and maybe it is loose. you could take the unit out (make sure tank is close to empty and no fire or sparks), inspect it, clean it, and then use some type of sealer silicone all around that nut on the inside and outside. and change the o-ring on the unit too.

if it is not the sending unit then maybe the vent holes/valves on top of the gas tank may be be letting fuel out, but you would see a clear trail from the top of the tank.

good luck.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by OldTires
tough to say from the pictures. the sending unit doesn't look bad but i have never seen one with a gold bolt like that. has it been modified? is it the sending fuel unit with the pressure regulator in the fuel tank (like the link below)? http://www.quadratec.com/products/51306_0147.htm it looks like they did try to modify it/fix it with that gold nut and maybe it is loose. you could take the unit out (make sure tank is close to empty and no fire or sparks), inspect it, clean it, and then use some type of sealer silicone all around that nut on the inside and outside. and change the o-ring on the unit too. if it is not the sending unit then maybe the vent holes/valves on top of the gas tank may be be letting fuel out, but you would see a clear trail from the top of the tank. good luck.
That nut is loose but I did some research and there is supposed to be a vent hose coming out of there, I was thinking if taking the nut out and adding a vent hose but I can't find where the stock vent hose runs to?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:11 AM

the 1996 had different fuel sending units. the one i have and posted the Quadratec link to has one fuel outlet tube that goes to the fuel rail, and the pressure regulator is in the gas tank with the sending unit. the fuel gasses from the fuel tank get recycled into the intake manifold - two vent tubes at the top of the fuel tank get connected to a fuel line that goes to the engine compartment, drivers side, then to the evaporative cannister and then to the manifold - this way the fuel gasses get used and not released into the environment.

if you have been driving with one output tube only, you probably have this system. you can check this by looking at the fuel rail to see if you have/or don't have a fuel pressure regulator at the front of the fuel rail. if you have one there, then you have the two way fuel sending unit that brings back fuel to the gas tank (in which case your sending unit would have two tubes - output and intake). if you don't see one there, then you have the one with the pressure regulator in the gas tank.

if you have been driving like this, you probably have the one with the sending unit in the tank. but you have to check.

it looks like the gold nut is holding a wire instead. so it looks like someone tried to fix a leak from there in the first place.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:13 AM

if you do a search for fuel rail, sending unit, pressure regulator you will find posts with pictures of the different set ups.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by OldTires
if you do a search for fuel rail, sending unit, pressure regulator you will find posts with pictures of the different set ups.
Thank you, I think I know how to fix it now!
Old 05-12-2014, 12:50 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 HO

How did you realize it was leaking? I have had a small gas leak coming from somewhere and I'm not real sure how to find where it's coming home. It's never enough to drip but there is a definite gas smell occasionally.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by backthepack
How did you realize it was leaking? I have had a small gas leak coming from somewhere and I'm not real sure how to find where it's coming home. It's never enough to drip but there is a definite gas smell occasionally.
Mine was dripping when I was parked on an incline, that's how I noticed it!
Old 05-12-2014, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by backthepack
I have had a small gas leak coming from somewhere and I'm not real sure how to find where it's coming home.
Try