Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel Sending Unit Hose Popped Off...

Old 03-22-2015, 02:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fuel Sending Unit Hose Popped Off...

So after finally dialing in my Jeep by fixing the hesitation, it was driving great! Until last week I stopped at Lowes and the thing would not run again. It sputtered and rumbled and wouldn't run. Long story short.. Tow of shame home. Thanks AAA.

I install a fuel pressure gauge and see that I'm only getting about 12psi and not sure what to think. The Bosch fuel pump is less than a year old. I clamp the return line to check if it's a regulator stuck open or something. No change. Today I traced it down to the sending unit to find the hose connecting the fuel pump to the output tube had started to pop off. Just enough that it could only build up 12psi before leaking I suppose.

So my question is, has this happened to anyone else? What did you do to remedy it? I wasn't about to slap it all back together only to have it happen again in a less convenient location.

So here's what I did, I bought a 5/16" compression sleeve and soldered it on the end of the tube to mimic a bead in the tube. Tighten the clamp and hopefully not have to worry about it again. BTW, I tried to put a flare or bead with my double flare tool, but the tubes were too close together to fit the tool.

Coincidentally the same thing happened to my celica, but it didn't have any clamps on the hose. So I figured clamps would suffice when I was installing the new pump in my XJ several months ago. Apparently clamps aren't enough for fuel injection. (the celica is carbed)
Old 03-22-2015, 11:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Good idea for a fix!