Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel Pump Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fuel Pump Problem...

Alright so I finally got new tires put on my Jeep so my dad finally let me drive it. It has been running great since I got it, and has always started when I have been working on it. This morning I went to drive it to town and it would not start. The starter would turn over but never catch. I ran the battery dead trying to start it. I let it sit for a few hours and drove my other car. I came back this afternoon and decided to hook up my battery charger and figure out the problem. When I switched the charger to 50A engine start, it fired right up and ran strong. I let it run for a few minutes to get some charge in it, then I drove it down the street to the gas station to put some gas in it. When I finished putting gas in it would not start again, and a kind man hooked up his charging brick to my battery and after a little struggling, it started up. I drove it home and put the charger on it again and left in my car once more. I was at this point still thinking it was a problem with the battery not having enough charge.

So after a few hours, I went to go get a haircut and drove it. Started right up, drove strong and ran great. When I was done with my haircut it would not start AGAIN. I had my dad jump me, we checked that the engine was getting fire, and it was. We noticed that we could not hear the fuel pump engaging and started to believe that was the issue. I climbed under the Jeep and tapped the fuel pump with a flashlight a few times, which didn't help. We called a tow truck to have it picked up.

When we arrived with the tow truck, same story, would turn over but not catch. He loaded it up and brought it to my house. One thing I noticed was that when the driver turned the key in order to back it off the truck, I heard the whine of the fuel pump activating. I waited till he left then, low and behold, it fired right up!!

I definatly think it's the fuel pump, but tell me what you think, it's a pretty annoying issue. Sorry bout long post...
Old 12-27-2010, 07:33 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

fuel pumps generally either work... or dont work... id be looking for a wiring problem maybe to the fuel pump or a loose fuse or something like that... doubt its the pump itself...
Old 12-27-2010, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix
Default Fuel Pump

Mine took a half hour to fail totally, kept cutting in and out with bumps and joggles, was an intermittent failure, not uncommon. No fix to it but a new pump.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

XJ's nomnom pumps.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:33 PM

Year: 1993

Just replace the fuel pump. They are not too expensive and pretty easy and straight foward to replace. I replaced mine with help from my dad when I was 16 working a little bit after school for a few days.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Verify control electronics before replacing the pump. And that includes the fuel pump RELAY.

I would swap the fuel pump relay with another of the same part number, or replace it.

Relays are hardy, but they can get sticky and if the relay doesn't pull in properly, you'll have no juice to your fuel pump.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:25 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: I6

Cranking with no start can mean Crank Pos. Sensor most of the time
and it will quit, then everything will start fine for a while, then it will quit again just when you've forgot about it
I'd definitely look into replacing your CPS