Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

fuel pump - how to replace just the pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default fuel pump - how to replace just the pump?

Found replacement pump for $20 on ebay shown below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331945002404?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
However theres nothing like this on my 2000 xj. Mine looks more like this one.

http://www.buyautoparts.com/plabuyno...4n5hoC1xbw_wcB

So how does this canister fuel pump work with the stock unit?
Old 11-01-2016, 05:38 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You have to take the canister apart and install the pump cartridge. I've done this on other vehicles but not on an XJ.

I don't know if I'd trust a $20 ebay fuel pump! ("Ocean" brand? )
Old 11-01-2016, 05:44 PM

Figured it out Just took the top off and grabbed the plug inside the canister with pliers. Tapped with a screw driver and retested. priming now but now i have a leak at the line to the top of the fuel pump assembly. the little metal tube came out of the top of the pump. I don't know that I can buy it separate. Will try jb weld and reassess. If that doesn't work ill order an assembly. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2016, 05:57 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Billy Bee
Figured it out Just took the top off and grabbed the plug inside the canister with pliers. Tapped with a screw driver and retested. priming now but now i have a leak at the line to the top of the fuel pump assembly. the little metal tube came out of the top of the pump. I don't know that I can buy it separate. Will try jb weld and reassess. If that doesn't work ill order an assembly. Thanks!
I think you can buy that ring. Don't jb-rig fuel stuff. Fires are the XJ's natural enemy. You have a pump assembly that sticks out of the front of the tank, I assume? Anyone who has done the above-the-tank assembly would never gamble having to do it again for a $20 part haha.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

I did the $20 ebay pump. Works great. Only thing is you absolutely need to replace the little filter on the bottom of it, AND the regulator filter. Both are obtainable from napa etc. I did the pump and little filter on the bottom only to drop it again 2 weeks later and do the regulator filter. By that time the only thing in the assembly not replaced is the gas gauge thing. I will caution you that I had a well equipped facility to change out the pump, you have to be very observant and quite patient and anticipate what you will need.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Don't torture yourself over a few bucks. Get the whole assembly, and get a Bosch or a Carter.

Unless you like dropping that tank a few times per year...
Old 11-02-2016, 03:59 PM

A few bucks? Autozone sells just the pump for $100+ and I created an access door to the pump. Way easier. Also the pieces that came out is the metal tube that connects to the rubber fuel line. Sticks out of the metal top of the assembly.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just throw a whole new bosch assembly in and forget the problem. I wouldn't trust an ebay pump.

Quick question, for you guys that create access doors for the fuel pump (97+), how are you doing this? Are you dropping the tank first? Or do you gamble and cut through the floor with your tank in-place? I literally just replaced my pump last weekend and for as much of a PITA it was, I cant imagine an access hole making it THAT much easier. That stupid plastic lock ring can make it a nightmare.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:33 AM

I just cut through the floor with a angle grinder making sure to be careful of how deep I went. I should post pics, but heres 2 helpful tips.

1) the top of the tank is off centered, probably 3-4" to the drivers side.
2) the frame rail? is just to the left or drivers side of the fuel pump. - So basically if you cut a big square and on side is cut on the far left of the pump and frame rail, your access door won't come off/flip up since its welded to the rail. If you want more accurate measurements let me know and ill get them today.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh no thanks man, I don't want to actually cut one in. I was curious as to how some of you guys do it. I'll take the extra time to drop the tank. I don't trust showering the tank in sparks... Just a bit sketchy IMO. I would say dropping the tank and then cutting a hole for future use may be the safest way to do this. I have a family to support, I can't risk blowing my face off for saving a few extra minutes of aggravation.

Last edited by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ; 11-06-2016 at 11:49 AM.