Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel pipe fitting from fuel pump -> forward

Old 06-25-2016, 06:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fuel pipe fitting from fuel pump -> forward

Folks,
I've come up against a bit of a problem with my Propane installation. I realise that counts as modified but the bit I'm asking about is stock..

I've got a non-standard gas tank (petrol tank) which means I need rubber fuel line to run forward from the fuel pump. Due to the Jeep specific fitting on the fuel pump end of the standard line, the fitters cut the plastic line short and clamped a rubber line onto it. The join is now leaking because the plastic can't stand the clamping force.

I'm pondering maybe getting a metal tube to fit inside the plastic line - but I don't know how much of a restriction I could get away with in the fuel line.

I think my other option might be to make up a short length of metal line back to the fuel pump fitting, but I'm not sure whether that would work with the plastic fitting/O ring deal that clips onto the fuel pump outlet.

Does anyone have any smart ideas on how I could join this flexy line to the plastic line without leaks?

I have access to the top of the fuel tank through the floor of the Jeep so I'm hoping to fix this without dropping the fuel tanks - which would be a nightmare due to the extra lines for the Propane.

Last edited by Morat; 06-25-2016 at 06:08 AM.