Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel leak... need help..

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt
Default Fuel leak... need help..

Ok 98 xj4.0, When reinstalling my headers intake etc.. i accidently loosened a bolt that holds the fuel line to the intake manifold.. let me rephrase this.. The bracket that hold the fuel line to the intake manifold, the third bolt that hold the line to the bracket is the one i accidentally loosened.. Anyways turned the key, and from the pressure in the line it began to drip gas.. I re-tighten that screw/bolt and still same problem.. Any ideas what that piece of the bracket does... Acts like a link, or if theres o-rings or something in there idk..
It was dark and didnt have a chance to pull it off and inspect it. But would like to know if this might be a serious problem or a quick fix.. Thanks ill be taking a look at it today when i get out of work, so looking for possibilities..
Old 10-08-2010, 09:37 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

is it leaking from the connections at the fuel rail? if it is relieve the fuel pressure then disconnect the line that is leaking look at the end of the line there schould be at least one o ring. sometimes just disconnecting and reconnecting the line works. the o ring gets used to bein in one spot then you go ahead and move him around and he doesnt like it.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:46 AM

Well its not at the rail.. nothing is leaking from there.. i dont have an actual picture but i found a diagram that has the basic location of my problem.. sorry for the poor quality.. That point has a bracket that holds the line up.. attaches to the intake manifold. the line connects to the bracket with a single 10mm nut/bolt. I dont know if thats a clip that holds the lines together if there seperate but something is there that is allowing it to leak.. Im sure once i get to it i will c what the issuse is
Attached Images  

Last edited by 98jeepsrt6; 10-08-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:47 PM

Update; i found the leak its has a hiar line craxk that allowing the gas to leak. Now is there any kinda tape or sealent that i can use to wrap and seal the crack or do i have to change out the line? I would like to upgrade to stainless ateel breaded lines but i need to save the money.

So let me know whar u guys think and how i should approach this? Thank CF
Old 10-08-2010, 08:57 PM

Year: 1992

dude. i was lookin at how my lines were routed and i said damn theirs no fittings down there that could leak sucks for him. hey you could totally cut the fuel line and get some HIGH PRESSURE FUEL INJECTION HOSE ,not regular fuel hose, and two camps and fix that leak. most good parts stores schould have it. (napa or carquest) cut that fuel lne with a tubing cutter or equivalent. or its time for a trip to your friendly local junk yard.

Last edited by btownxj; 10-08-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: stoned
Old 10-09-2010, 09:53 AM

ok, after numerous hours looking and looking to find a decent temp fix for my fuel line, i have come to the conclusion that i have to buy a new line. I want to upgrade to SS breaded line but my ? is what would be the best way to install the line.. Replace the entire line or just the portion from fuel rail to crack in line?? Would i need to have the same fitting as oem for the rail? Or is clamping it down sufficient enough? Would there be any flow issues with a clamped line? Would to much pressure build at the rail connection since its not direct flow? Well these are some of the ifs that im worried about. Let me know what you think is the best route.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:57 PM

Thumbs up

Update:
Cut cracked line a replace with standard fuel line hose until later can afford some higb pressure SS breas line. Hopefully can find a good length to replace entire line but maybe from firewall up will be sufficient enough. Thank for te help.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

You say standerd fuel line is it atleast fuel injection hose? If not it will bust.
Attached Images