Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

fuel delivery??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H/O I6
Question fuel delivery??

alright so on saturday my xj decided it was just going to stall while doing about 65-70 mph on the highway. i had never had this problem before. now, its running at normal temp. shows no signs of misfiring or anything, it just randomly shut off. it started back up again after about 2 or 3 turns of the key and ran fine. i didnt have a problem with it at all until last night (wednesday) when it did the same thing as i was coming to a stop at an intersection. i was slowing down from maybe 30 mph and it shut off on me again. of course after a few tries it started right back up and ran just fine. im wondering if this could be a bad fuel pump? not getting enough fuel? possibly some type of sensor? im not sure. if anyone could give me some possiblilities of what the problem could be, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance for any replies 93 xj 5 speed 4wd just for some starter info...
Old 08-20-2009, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Besides your fuel pump I would look into your oil level sensor,I read the other day that the 93 was the only year that it was used and it was such a problem chrysler quit using them,when you say it stalled coming to a stop I just wonder if maybe that could be the issue.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:45 AM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by 93XJRay
alright so on saturday my xj decided it was just going to stall while doing about 65-70 mph on the highway. i had never had this problem before. now, its running at normal temp. shows no signs of misfiring or anything, it just randomly shut off. it started back up again after about 2 or 3 turns of the key and ran fine. i didnt have a problem with it at all until last night (wednesday) when it did the same thing as i was coming to a stop at an intersection. i was slowing down from maybe 30 mph and it shut off on me again. of course after a few tries it started right back up and ran just fine. im wondering if this could be a bad fuel pump? not getting enough fuel? possibly some type of sensor? im not sure. if anyone could give me some possiblilities of what the problem could be, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance for any replies 93 xj 5 speed 4wd just for some starter info...
Did the engine light come on? I would try to see if you have a code that will point you to the culprit
Old 08-20-2009, 12:49 PM

Year: 2000

Is there any carbon build up in the throttlebody? If so clean it and the IAC.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 High Output

All of the people above me are correct but you have to look at some other factors. The Crank position sensor for the cherokees are completly exposed to the hot block and manifold. If it shorts out on the ground on the engine then it will stop. But it doesn't always completly die and unlikly to competly die all the time. So yes, take into account your fuel pressure. Get a fuel pressure gauge and hook it up to the fuel rail. With the fuel pressure regulator on it should be getting 32psi and iddle and spike all the way up to 40psi when u rev it. When the vaccume hose is dissconected on the fuel pressure regulator it should always be 40 psi. Carbon build up could also be a problem but it would either run a little rough or you would notice some power loss. Check all of your wires and connections. Check your codes.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:32 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H/O I6

Originally Posted by al2ride
Did the engine light come on? I would try to see if you have a code that will point you to the culprit
no the engine light did not come on. it acted like i just got in it and turned the key a little bit before starting. which was like my check engine light my brake light and some other ones that come on when starting it. but the engine light or oil or temp gauges didnt stay lit up or anything.

as for bestdell18 where can i find the cps. is it the small almost capsule like thing with a couple tubes hooked up to it to the left of the valve cover?