Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel Cell to replace the low hanging tank...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel Cell to replace the low hanging tank...

I am wondering if anyone has mounted a flush mount trunk floor style fuel cell in the rear of their XJ. Im getting ready to do a full rear floor pan patch and or replacement (see other thread "indiana floor questions")
and was thinking that i remember several friends bashing their tanks to bits on rocks and roots and such and thougth.. Hey what if i mounted a cell between the frame rails.. built a small cage for where it hangs down.. That would probably free up a little bit of space underneath so i dont bash the tank.. Anyones thoughts on that? I was planning to make a sort of false floor just above where the tank would stick up a litte and do away with the stock filler neck and door.. Allowing me to fill up inside the Jeep and then just attaching a vent to get vapors away from the passenger comp.. ???

Post up your opinions and if you have pics of such an install, not the kind that are totally in the passenger area Post them up too..

thanks in advance
Old 04-08-2010, 06:37 AM

Bump. nobody even has an opinoin on this?
Old 04-08-2010, 06:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I know a guy in Denver that has one in the back of his XJ and the pump is loud enough to be heard constantly. Even on the highway, doors off.....BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Enough to drive ya nuts.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:21 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

in most states it is illegal to store gas in passenger compartment. So then the option becomes moving g-tank up. Which basically entails making an inside compartment, and reloctaing a few line so it does what it is suppose to.

Other which most wheelers o with their g-tank is to build/buy a g-tank skid.

On my truggy and this was 4 yrs ago... it cost just shy of 500 bones to buy all the fittings, and parts to run a fuel cell, so.. which is more cost effective for you.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:24 AM

Yeah.. I was planning to run one off of the sump on the tank.. So basically i was going to run one mounted to the frame.. beneath the rig.. So perhaps that would keep the noise down? Just throwing that out there.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:29 AM

I already have the tank.. The fittings arent a big deal.. i work for the biggest bolt bin in the world.. I plan to run -8 line if i do the tank to make it capable of running the LSx should i ever get around to swapping that in..