Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

front u joint problem PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default front u joint problem PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

So my passenger side axle u joint took a dump after I lifted the jeep. I read the Chilton Manual and it said for the pass side i have to take off the diff cover and remove the retaining clip. However some people here in some threads say I dont have to remove the retaining clip. Can anyone give me a straight answer? Its a dana 30 in a '96. I'd rather not have to replace the gear oil and take out the clip.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99

that is for the rear axle, to take the front shaft out you dont need to open the diff cover just unbolt the three bolts that hold the hub, and the axle hub nut and you'll be all set
Old 07-23-2010, 08:32 PM

I have the same problem and I need to change the front passanger axle. The thing is that I don't find the u joint axle; I got the regular end axle. May I use it? It's the same?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:55 PM

Year: 1993

i have the same problem with mine. my wife just told me earlier my jeep had oil under it. mind you ive been layed up in bed for 2 weeks cause of surgery. i went outside and my ujoint lost all the bearings and the axle is leaking. i dont see a seal at the end of the tube is there a seal??
Old 07-23-2010, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

Originally Posted by mazukamba
I have the same problem and I need to change the front passanger axle. The thing is that I don't find the u joint axle; I got the regular end axle. May I use it? It's the same?
not fully understanding the quesiton here? any pics?

Originally Posted by kg4cej
i have the same problem with mine. my wife just told me earlier my jeep had oil under it. mind you ive been layed up in bed for 2 weeks cause of surgery. i went outside and my ujoint lost all the bearings and the axle is leaking. i dont see a seal at the end of the tube is there a seal??
there is an inner seal yes
Old 07-24-2010, 10:27 AM

Year: 1997

This is the next thing that I need to fix on mine. It is popping when I drive. I got told it would cost $300 to go ahead and replace both sides with beefier u-joints. Not sure if I want to tackle it myslef or just pay out the money and have my fluids and everything gone over for that. If I do pay it out, is there anything else I should have them do while they are in there?
Old 07-24-2010, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 96
Engine: 6 cylinder

changing u joints is very easy.. take your tire caliper and rotor off. take the 3 13mm 12 point bolts out that hold the hub assembly to your axle housing so you can pull the axle out to make working on it easier ]....pop two caps off the u joint and wiggle it out then pop the new one in and put everything back together...it only takes about 45 mins to do....i would never pay $300 bucks to do something so easy...o yea and u joints only cost about $30 at napa
Old 07-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992

yea it is easy to do. i dont know about on the sxle shafts but i do kno ondrive shafts it is very important to make sure you take the old joints out right. do NOT just hammer the caps all the way through. just thought if you have never done it you might not have known