Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre
Default Front suspension problem

Hello, Cherokee Forum. I have a quick question and would really appreciate it if I could get an answer.

My 95 XJ has some sort of problem with the suspension, the thing is, I'm not so sure what it is. When I drive slowly over bumpy/irregular roads or off-road I hear a rickety sound on the driver's side. It sounds like two pieces of metal hitting each other. In terms of sounds you want to hear coming from a car, I would rate this as one of the noises you do not want to hear. It has been described as sounding like the car is coming apart (obviously it is not and has gone 10,000 miles with this). It goes away on the highway though and when the tires have optimal pressure.

Is this a common complaint on here and is this potentially hazardous? And also, what is it? I haven't had time to really delve into learning about my car because I have been in college learning about the finer things in life.

Mainly I just want to make sure my wheels are not going to come off on the freeway.

Thanks!

Last edited by cherokeeUCLA; 03-28-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

First thing i think of is the transmission/Tcase mount.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Honestly..
Your going to have to get under the thing and see if you see anything loose, we dont have teleporters here unfortunaley, so we cant do that for you..

Get under there wiggle the sway bar links, the tie rod, trac bar, etc.. have someone crank the wheel left and right and see if you see anything thats not moving on plane with other things..

Honestly I would suspect your sway bar bushings are shot and its rattling around, you have a shock going bad (or a bushing on the shock)...
Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

As well as the previous post, it may be worthwhile to get under the Jeep, and use some visual/muscle to try and find an issue. There are a variety of things that could be causing this noise. Definitely look for something wrong, ie worn bushing or broken spring, but also grab things like your sway bar links and other steering/suspension components. and see if they are loose or warn. It also might be worthwhile to jack up the front of the Jeep on the frame rails to check other things like control arms.

Its tough to diagnose an issue like this without actually hearing it, so best of luck!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Xj88
Honestly..
Your going to have to get under the thing and see if you see anything loose, we dont have teleporters here unfortunaley, so we cant do that for you..

Get under there wiggle the sway bar links, the tie rod, trac bar, etc.. have someone crank the wheel left and right and see if you see anything thats not moving on plane with other things..

Honestly I would suspect your sway bar bushings are shot and its rattling around, you have a shock going bad (or a bushing on the shock)...
You're making me look like a big copycat now. Haha.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Old School CF Moderator

You are....

Old 03-28-2013, 09:44 PM

Ok just did a physical investigation and this is what I found out.

The cylindrical thing that goes up into the engine compartment from the "wheel compartment" with the rubber donut thing at the top (the "shock absorber?") is loose. Amazing! On the right side, it is not. Also, it is completely covered in gunk due to a long-lasting steering fluid leak. I have heard that fluid can be corrosive, is this true?

Forgot about the lack of a teleport feature on this website

I can take pictures and just took a video with the noise while driving but it is kind of hard to get stuff off that camera...would be more than glad to upload it if it will help someone diagnose it further although it seems straightforward now..loose shock absorber?
Old 03-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Upload the pic of the part.

I'm waiting.....

Old 03-28-2013, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

Originally Posted by cherokeeUCLA
Ok just did a physical investigation and this is what I found out.

The cylindrical thing that goes up into the engine compartment from the "wheel compartment" with the rubber donut thing at the top (the "shock absorber?") is loose. Amazing! On the right side, it is not. Also, it is completely covered in gunk due to a long-lasting steering fluid leak. I have heard that fluid can be corrosive, is this true?

Forgot about the lack of a teleport feature on this website

I can take pictures and just took a video with the noise while driving but it is kind of hard to get stuff off that camera...would be more than glad to upload it if it will help someone diagnose it further although it seems straightforward now..loose shock absorber?
Yes that would be the shock absorber, unless it;s the spring but i doubt you would get that wrong
Old 03-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Old School CF Moderator

If it is just the bushing on the top of the shock (right under where it goes into the engine compartment just buy a bushing for it.
You'll have to undo the upper shock mount from under the hood (sometimes a pain in the ****)..compress the shock to get the stud out of the engine compartment..then put your new bushing on and reinstall.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:13 PM

Name:  P1050487_zps50eb0aa0.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  84.1 KB
Name:  P1050485_zps8b574241.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  99.7 KB

And here the area from underneath the hood, as you can see it is quite messy:
Name:  P1050490_zps1a3ac3f7.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  107.3 KB
Old 03-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 I6 High Output

Looks like that strut is done.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 PM

Any recommendations for replacement parts? It seems to have dug into the unibody..is this a problem? I'm almost certain this is the source of the problem because when I moved it it sounded like the noise I get...when I am going slow over bumps, I get hard, slow knocking and when I am slowing down I think it gets to some sort of vibration sweet spot and rattles.

Is this what I should be looking for? http://www.partstrain.com/store/??N=...rut%20Assembly)

Thank you everyone
Old 03-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 I6 High Output

Kinda hard to tell in the photo's.. But it looks like the strut may have broke free from the body itself. And if that's the case your gonna need to know a good welder.
Your gonna need a new strut, ( might as well do all four ) and someone to re weld the strut top mount .
Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 PM
CF Veteran

Cherokees don't have struts, and you have a leak issue, brake line maybe

Quick Reply: Front suspension problem