Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front and Rear Bumper Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Front and Rear Bumper Project

I know I've seen some write up's about members fabbing their own bumpers. I searched and couldn't find them. Can someone give me the links to them? I'm wanting to make my own bumpers and want to see some ideas. Thanks.

Drew
Old 12-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L home brew Snorkle

i am making my own bumpers but dont have a writeup for it yet. i am still hammering the dimensions out on paper. as soon as i get em done, painted and on i will post...with pics.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992

i built my own front and im stilll workin on the rear. i just went to google images and typed everything that related to a off road bumper and took the ideas i like and put them all together and made my own
Old 12-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by thebrow89
i built my own front and im stilll workin on the rear. i just went to google images and typed everything that related to a off road bumper and took the ideas i like and put them all together and made my own

thats kinda what im doing. i look at not whats popular but what is more functional, not saying your trying to be popular. but alot of the bumpers out there i dont like for one reason or another and i am damn cheap. if i can get it done myself, im going to do it. plus if i fudge it up, i only have me to blame. but if its right, i can brag til the cows come home.

i used to have friends who bought all there upgrades. and then said there truck was "Custom". i told em BULL $H!T to their faces. all they did was throw money at their rigs and someone elses ideas stuck. F*** that. i want to be able to take credit for the hard work it takes to design, build and install, not the hard work of ordering online, wait 4 weeks for delivery, then have a shop install it.

granted, some things i cant do myself because of know how, technical expertise, and the like. but everything else...IS MINE!!

Old 12-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Found this project front bumper. I think it looks pretty good and I like the fact that if he wanted to put a winch on the front it looks like it would fit perfectly. What do ya'll think? http://www.rockfrogs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1948
Old 12-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Seasoned Member

And I think black diamond plate for the filler plates would look sharp.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer

nice lookin bumper, imo.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

I didnt like the way the rear turned out so im gonna cut it up and redo it when i build my rear stinger/tire carrier

Old 12-09-2008, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

Originally Posted by chilixj99
And I think black diamond plate for the filler plates would look sharp.
Diamond plate looks killer on anything. I was gonna do my Jimmy's interior in chrome diamond plate panels....
Old 12-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chilixj99
Found this project front bumper. I think it looks pretty good and I like the fact that if he wanted to put a winch on the front it looks like it would fit perfectly. What do ya'll think? http://www.rockfrogs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1948

this is about what i was thinking with the stinger that is on tenesee's jeep. a couple more braces for the sides in case of stuped other drivers and i think we have it. sorry tenn, but i dhink i dont like your rear bumper but i will give you an A for effort. looks good if it fits your purpose and the only thing that matters is if you like it.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by double_ot_xj
this is about what i was thinking with the stinger that is on tenesee's jeep. a couple more braces for the sides in case of stuped other drivers and i think we have it. sorry tenn, but i dhink i dont like your rear bumper but i will give you an A for effort. looks good if it fits your purpose and the only thing that matters is if you like it.

It alright man, I dont like it either. Im gonna redo it though when i build my rear stinger. The only reason it looks like that is because im too impatient to wait on more tube haha. That bottom portion is actually made out of scrap pieces from a buggy. Itll get redone tho, dont worry guys
Old 12-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres mine. Its not done,the top is going to have steel diamond plate on it and a few other things.Its going to be black and you are going to see the aluminum diamond plate inbeetween the space of the 2 tubings

Old 12-09-2008, 05:02 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

I'm trying to coax someone into fabbing me a rear front bumper. I have a square tubing style for the front bumper and I like the look, I'm trying to get something similar for the back but I don't think anyone here is going to go for the idea.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by hubbazoot
I'm trying to coax someone into fabbing me a rear front bumper. I have a square tubing style for the front bumper and I like the look, I'm trying to get something similar for the back but I don't think anyone here is going to go for the idea.

Plate steel bumpers are just so hard to fab. Ive got a buddy that built one and it took something like 6 days just to get all the gaps filled in and to get it looking right. If you put the time into it, they can look great, but theyre easy to screw up
Old 12-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by TennesseeXJ

I didnt like the way the rear turned out so im gonna cut it up and redo it when i build my rear stinger/tire carrier

Where did you get the tail light guards? I've looked all over for them but can only find ones for stinkin grand cherokees.

I also plan to get started on some bumpers sometime soon. And frame stiffeners. and rock sliders. and skid plates. Hmmm, winter might not be long enough..... Its gonna take some time, but I'm gonna kinda go off of this bumper:

http://jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/...?idproduct=110

Quick Reply: Front and Rear Bumper Project