Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front end woes. Need serious help fast!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O
Default Front end woes. Need serious help fast!

Ok so i think i bent my drag think, because now the tie rod end is scraping the front of the pass spring seat. I looked at another XJ and the whole assmebly seems to be sitting a good 2 inches further back than it should. so i think i just need a new drag link. The biggest problem is i noticed my camber is wayyyyy off. both tops are leaning in noticably alot and my tires are starting to cup, not to mention my horrible handling now. since it is lifted 3 inches, i know that changes the caster angle alot. ive been way over due for a toe alignment. is it possible the changed caster angle is making think its camber? ball joints are fine, axle is straight as an arrow. Ive never been more puzzled with a car problem. any thoughts?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Have a hard time believing you bent the drag link cause it's solid and typically out of the way. The tie rod on the other hand is hollow and will bend if you look at it wrong. I ran with a high lift jack handle sleeving my tie rod for about 2 months one time till I found another one.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

X2 on hard to believe you bent your draglink HOWEVER if you had run it into something hard during 4wheeling like say a submerged stump it definitely could happen. Judging by your sumptoms I would definitely say your issue is a bent tierod or draglink.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:22 PM

Then how would the whole drag link and tie rod assembly be pushed back so far as to rub. The tie rods are solid still , and i would have a hard time believing that the knuckles are bent cause those are cast iron. I'm so stumped, and cant find anything on the internet
Old 10-12-2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
X2 on hard to believe you bent your draglink HOWEVER if you had run it into something hard during 4wheeling like say a submerged stump it definitely could happen. Judging by your sumptoms I would definitely say your issue is a bent tierod or draglink.
Wow, you couldnt have hit it more head on, no pun intended. I was bush whacking it and smashed a stump going about 15 mph. I hit somewhere on the pass side, but i couldnt see any visible damage and it drove fine, its just started binding and now the camber is off.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

I'm guessing you hit that stump right where your tierod connects to your draglink over there on the passenger side. That being pushed back would cause the assembly to hit the spring pad when you cycle your steering side to side. Plus it being bent in the middle like that would cause you to have way too much toe-in on your tires. That is what is causing your crazy handling and tire cupping. May want to check out your lower trackbar mount too. it is in that same area. You may have damaged it as well.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

if your ball joints are good and your camber is way out look at your front wheel/hub bearings, unless the axle is bowed the only thing that can cause camber to be out is ball joints and wheel bearings. however if the bearings are good, you can still get your camber correct with adjustable ball joints.