Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default front end noise

Here is the issue:

I have a deep popping noises coming from mainly my driver side. happens when I go up anything from rocks to a steep driveway, just a single pop. I lifted the jeep and has no play in anything, tie rods good, ball joints good, wheel hub good (has no play or movements/ noises). the pop seems to have a little vibration followed after it every time, almost like it travels (like it could be around the coil). Here is everything new up here:

4.5 inch lift

short control arms (upper are still stock)

adjustable track bar with drop bracket (this has given me issues before, but it is tight now)

new steering damer

drop pitman arm

brand new axle shaft u joints

longer sway bar arms with the stock bar

and a new front drive shaft

If anyone has any ideas or speculation it would be appreciated to hear what you have to say. I have a few ideas, one is maybe the upper control arms bushings. but that's it, I would love to hear from anyone's experiences.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I would check the bushings. If there is a vibration afterwards maybe spray some WD-40 or PB Blaster on the bushings to lube them up some. If the vibration goes away then that might be your issue.

I know you said you checked your track bar, but have you made sure that the axle side mounting hole hasn't ovaled out? Mine had the same thing happen and the mount and bolt seemed tight, but the weight of the vehicle when driving was enough to make it move. It felt like it was coming from the drivers side but since the track bar goes from the bottom passenger up to the top drivers it made it feel that way.