Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front end hop when turning tight

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Front end hop when turning tight

Hello All,
I have a 01 Cherokee with 2" budget lift. Stock tires and wheels. Automatic.
127,000. 4 wheel drive.

Recently I have noticed that when I'm turning tight (into a parking space) the front end seems to skip a little bit. Reminds me of when you have it 4 low and turn tight, but it isn't nearly that bad. Doesn't matter which direction I'm turning.

Not sure where to start. I checked my four wheel drive linkage and it doesn't seem to be stuck in 4 high. I was hoping worn tires but a friend told me it's probably in the rear differential. He told me to jack up rear end and make sure wheels spin opposite directions. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

I'll go out on a limb and say it is not your rear differential. Chances are you either need an alignment or some front end components replaced. Things like track bar, drag link, ties rod, control arms can all have older bushings/ends that will allow for some looseness. Why would you feel it in the front end if the rear diff was to blame?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by Bluebettyjeep
Hello All,
I have a 01 Cherokee with 2" budget lift. Stock tires and wheels. Automatic.
127,000. 4 wheel drive.

Recently I have noticed that when I'm turning tight (into a parking space) the front end seems to skip a little bit. Reminds me of when you have it 4 low and turn tight, but it isn't nearly that bad. Doesn't matter which direction I'm turning.

Not sure where to start. I checked my four wheel drive linkage and it doesn't seem to be stuck in 4 high. I was hoping worn tires but a friend told me it's probably in the rear differential. He told me to jack up rear end and make sure wheels spin opposite directions. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim
Not likely! DON'T let him give you any more advice on your Jeep!!!

Originally Posted by VTJeep
I'll go out on a limb and say it is not your rear differential. Chances are you either need an alignment or some front end components replaced. Things like track bar, drag link, ties rod, control arms can all have older bushings/ends that will allow for some looseness. Why would you feel it in the front end if the rear diff was to blame?
Exactly what you need to look at.
Why would he even suggest to check the rear end if you are having problems in the front??? LOL
Old 04-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Simple things first lol. Get the Jeep up on jack stands and make sure its not in 4H somehow. The linkages can go out.

Anyway the real point of being up there is to check your front U joints. Sounds like they're binding and need some greasin' or replacin'
Old 04-25-2013, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

I just had this happen, all I did was adjust the tie rod, (I think I was toe in a little anyway) and it fixed it, you may have to play with it, (adjust and drive, readjust and drive).

Just loosen the clamps on either end of the tie rod and turn, turning to the right, (if you're under the tie rod and facing the passenger side wheel) will bring the wheels together, (toe in), and vice versa.

Don't forget to straighten out your steering wheel with the drag link adjust sleeve.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by 95Cherokee
I just had this happen, all I did was adjust the tie rod, (I think I was toe in a little anyway) and it fixed it, you may have to play with it, (adjust and drive, readjust and drive).

Just loosen the clamps on either end of the tie rod and turn, turning to the right, (if you're under the tie rod and facing the passenger side wheel) will bring the wheels together, (toe in), and vice versa.

Don't forget to straighten out your steering wheel with the drag link adjust sleeve.
And dont forget to try to get your Toe in to around 1/16-1/8". Easy way to do so is to take a tape measure and measure from the middle seam of the front of the front tires and the middle seam of the rear of the front tires.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

I really don't know what causes this, or what fixes it, I think I just got lucky because some test runs, (to check the aliment after I adjusted the tie rod), it would do it, some runs it wouldn't, (when turing back into the driveway is where I get my point of reference)

Also, you must re tighten the clamps and adjust sleeve on the drag link back tight when done, don't go crazy on it, I didn't but go tight, I dont know what the torque spec is on those bolts, I just went very snug.

Last edited by 95Cherokee; 04-25-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

my suggestion would be remove the front drive shaft and then see if it still does it. If it does, then your front axle shaft u-joints are likely the culprit like they were on mine.