Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

front drive shaft removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 04:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default front drive shaft removal

i wanna start eliminating factors that might be contributing to a god awful noise. it started out just happening when in 4 and accelerating, but now there is a clunking noise/feeling from front end when in either 4 hi/low, or 2. it suddenly worsened last night and is now an aggressive vibration at speed and at lower speeds and turning, a clunking feeling thru the wheel and gas pedal... is it worth pulling the front shaft and if so, how??? this would be a first time project so any help is useful.
one more thought, i have just replaced the u joints in front end. the drivers side a week ago and the pass. side a few months ago. but there is a squirrel about to die in my front end... at least thats what it sounds like; a chirping, squeaking noise... wtf???
Old 03-20-2011, 04:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

very simple either a 5/16 or 8 mm 6point box end wrech four bolts in the front four in the back be careful when taking the fron at the axle so caps dont fall off and all the needle bearings fall out
Old 03-20-2011, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by freegdr
very simple either a 5/16 or 8 mm 6point box end wrech four bolts in the front four in the back be careful when taking the fron at the axle so caps dont fall off and all the needle bearings fall out

nice. ty. if needle bearings fall out, what would that mean? i know new driveshafts can be pricey, and i dont know what the availability for a used one is... the shaft has a fair amount of play in it, but the noise and actual vibration is much and the shaft doesnt seem to have gotten looser, but i spose that how it feels and looks is different than how it drives... ok.. time to get to it! thanks again!
Old 03-20-2011, 04:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

They are 8mm 12 point bolts on the front of my '00 xj. on the axle side is 4 and the same on the transfer case side.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 00jeepXJ
They are 8mm 12 point bolts on the front of my '00 xj. on the axle side is 4 and the same on the transfer case side.
mines a 89 i got six point nuts buy a 12 point wrench it will work on either nut he has
Old 03-20-2011, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by VTJeep
nice. ty. if needle bearings fall out, what would that mean? i know new driveshafts can be pricey, and i dont know what the availability for a used one is... the shaft has a fair amount of play in it, but the noise and actual vibration is much and the shaft doesnt seem to have gotten looser, but i spose that how it feels and looks is different than how it drives... ok.. time to get to it! thanks again!
you sit there digging in the grass to find them all or you put a new joint in cause most the time one never gets found lol everybodys been there
Old 03-20-2011, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by freegdr
you sit there digging in the grass to find them all or you put a new joint in cause most the time one never gets found lol everybodys been there
once again, ty! also for reference ive got a 99 xj. but it sounds like a 12pt. will work for all.