Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

front bumper opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default front bumper opinions

im in the market for a winch bumper but not sure what to get. hoping you guys can help me out... these are the three bumpers i was looking at. any opinions or thoughts would be really helpfull or pictures of your own bumper

Old 09-02-2010, 10:40 PM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche
Engine: 4.0

they all look the same just with different hoops.

a bumper is a bumper, pick one you think looks the best. all thats important is how the frame mounts are. there should be a minimum of 4 bolts per side. the d-ring mount welds are important too.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:43 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 i6

As far as looks i say number 3!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

3 pics of the same bumper ... I guess you really like it, huh? I'm in the market too, but I'm very picky. Still looking. There's a couple guys on here building bumpers.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:05 AM
Registered Users

Engine: 4

I looked relentlessly for what would work best for my application. Since I was going to be using a very strong winch, (XD9000) I wanted a bumper that could handle a hard pull to the side or handle the use of a ******-block. A lot of bumpers use the 3 holes on each side of the UB as a tie in only, which can be a little light.

I went with the ARB bumper and had plates made to tie it in further back for tons of extra support against twisting of the front-end. The ARB is very strong and has top-quality powdercoat on it. I personally think that is as good as it gets. It's worth the extra loot... If you shop right, you should be able to pick one up for bout 850.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:21 AM
CF Veteran

Sometimes we're looking for more than strength. I'm looking for a bumper that's about stock size, stronger of course, but not a winch bumper. I don't plan on getting a winch, and I prefer the center pull of a hitch than a side pull from bumper D-rings. Not that you can't get a center receiver built onto a bumper, but it detracts from the looks. Gotta have a good approach angle too, and I find that the Warn & ARB don't really fit that bill. But I do prefer plate bumpers like those 2. Rock hard has a nice looking beefy plate bumper, but I'm being cheap right now and don't want to spend $379.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:58 AM
Registered Users

My only response to that is why are you worried about aproach angle if you aren't going to have a front pull device? If ur talkin bout any type of serious riding, you might just have to get pulled out by somebody like me that did spend the money on a winch and the bumper is the ONLY place to hook up on a UB. We pullers are not always able to get a straight pull on ya and you may be forced to deal with a side pull.

Strength is always gonna be an issue the second you decide to try any obstacle that "requires" the front tires pullin'. If ur locked up, then it's gonna be even worse when your vehicle won't move under it's own power.

Please don't let me sound like I'm some kind of know-all jeep guy, but I ride all the time and constantly have to rescue ppl that make bad trail equipment decisions. My 1100 winch is used on other jeeps way more than my own.
Everyone has to be rescued sometime, but at least give yourself the biggest available opportunity to get home on your own.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:11 AM

Those all look like Logans and they have good reviews. I am in the market too and called them. They are setting up a new site and told me to order soon because pricing was going to change. I also called Nates 4X4 and was told a cheaper price for a recessed winch bumper than what was on the website. FYI.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

workin..
Attached Thumbnails front bumper opinions-bumpf15.jpg  
Old 09-03-2010, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Go Coastal
My only response to that is why are you worried about aproach angle if you aren't going to have a front pull device? If ur talkin bout any type of serious riding, you might just have to get pulled out by somebody like me that did spend the money on a winch and the bumper is the ONLY place to hook up on a UB. We pullers are not always able to get a straight pull on ya and you may be forced to deal with a side pull.

Strength is always gonna be an issue the second you decide to try any obstacle that "requires" the front tires pullin'. If ur locked up, then it's gonna be even worse when your vehicle won't move under it's own power.

Please don't let me sound like I'm some kind of know-all jeep guy, but I ride all the time and constantly have to rescue ppl that make bad trail equipment decisions. My 1100 winch is used on other jeeps way more than my own.
Everyone has to be rescued sometime, but at least give yourself the biggest available opportunity to get home on your own.
Whoa. Slow down "know-it-all" . You're making a lot of assumptions here. First of all, most bumper makers don't put a pull rating on their bumpers for liability reasons. I have a front (and rear) hitch which are designed for pulling. They have a rating & that makes me comfortable. Also, a center pull spreads the load on the whole unibody, even when you're pulling to the side, whereas a one-sided side pull is more likely to tweak your frame. Frankly I don't really trust bumpers for pulling. Hey, I choose not to run a winch: that's just me. Congratulations on your 1100#er, but while you put out the $ for that winch, I spent mine on arguably the best XJ suspension components money can buy. No malice, just personal choice.

Approach angle became more important to me when my front Hidden Hitch got literally ripped from the mounts on a hard rock-wheeling trip a couple years ago. Guess I smacked it 1 too many times! I now have another that's tucked up so high, it touches the bumper. You can barely see it. Plus I "ramp" it when on the rocks. That brings us to whether or not I do "any type of serious riding". That is a relative term ... I don't go hardcore, but it's "serious" to me. Next, I've been pulled out many times over the past 9 years, but maybe once, twice by a winch. And have rescued many - including an H1 - with a good strap . And since I have solid front & rear recovery points, none of my pulls have ever been a problem. I guess I want a front bumper for a bit of collision strength, but also for good looks. I'll continue to rely on my hitches for pulling strength.

My XJ is built solid & tips the scales at 4800+ pounds. Locked front (electric) & rear (auto). Regardless, I never wheel alone, so I'd say I have an excellent chance of making it home, winch, bumper, or not.

I love the Hanson bumper, but I don't need that type, so I'm also looking at: Rock Hard: front view

My non-serious XJ

My humble apologies to the OP if we have been too Off-Topic. (I did mention 2 winch bumpers )
Old 09-04-2010, 01:26 AM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by _StationWagon_
Whoa. Slow down "know-it-all" . You're making a lot of assumptions here. First of all, most bumper makers don't put a pull rating on their bumpers for liability reasons. I have a front (and rear) hitch which are designed for pulling. They have a rating & that makes me comfortable. Also, a center pull spreads the load on the whole unibody, even when you're pulling to the side, whereas a one-sided side pull is more likely to tweak your frame. Frankly I don't really trust bumpers for pulling. Hey, I choose not to run a winch: that's just me. Congratulations on your 1100#er, but while you put out the $ for that winch, I spent mine on arguably the best XJ suspension components money can buy. No malice, just personal choice.

Approach angle became more important to me when my front Hidden Hitch got literally ripped from the mounts on a hard rock-wheeling trip a couple years ago. Guess I smacked it 1 too many times! I now have another that's tucked up so high, it touches the bumper. You can barely see it. Plus I "ramp" it when on the rocks. That brings us to whether or not I do "any type of serious riding". That is a relative term ... I don't go hardcore, but it's "serious" to me. Next, I've been pulled out many times over the past 9 years, but maybe once, twice by a winch. And have rescued many - including an H1 - with a good strap . And since I have solid front & rear recovery points, none of my pulls have ever been a problem. I guess I want a front bumper for a bit of collision strength, but also for good looks. I'll continue to rely on my hitches for pulling strength.

My XJ is built solid & tips the scales at 4800+ pounds. Locked front (electric) & rear (auto). Regardless, I never wheel alone, so I'd say I have an excellent chance of making it home, winch, bumper, or not.

I love the Hanson bumper, but I don't need that type, so I'm also looking at: Rock Hard: front view

My non-serious XJ

My humble apologies to the OP if we have been too Off-Topic. (I did mention 2 winch bumpers )

haha. I'm a preacher, so I'm used to being called a "know-it-all"
Currently own 4 jeeps. 3 have winches and the JK will as soon as its lifted and the new wears off. I'd love to compare mod knowledge as I do all my own work, but no sense in it...
Guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I considder my rigs to be mall crawlers when compared to the freaks I watch at Gray-rok ORV every month. I live 45 miles away. They all have winches, so I thought I should. And since I have more money than time, I only buy Warn and they are worth every penny. My 92 bronco has a 15yr old 8274 on it that's on it's 3rd cable. Guess that I'm just lazy....

And of course the JKS quicker disconnects are still connected...

haha. this one is in front of the church.

but I've been on a trail or two... had this one for 10 yrs. bought it new and made all the mistakes you can think of... bought lots of cheap weak links over the years.
I'd say that I am once bitten twice shy in that particular requard these days...

oh ya, bumpers. I really like the ones from www.icelandoffroad.com if i was going to buy another prefab.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:58 AM
CF Veteran

Very nice XJ ... but for the pretty wheels & the B.whakers, we could be twins! The "freaks" go hard-core. They need a winch! It comes in handy, but I haven't had a need for it all these years, and believe me, I do the (pulling) work! At 4800 pound, I'm now in the denial phase & I avoid "unnecessary" weight on the Jeep. I do drool over the Hanson though ... that's a beautiful bumper, well made & stylish. The Trailready XJ winch bumper is also a beauty, but whereas you have more money than time, I have more taste than money, . Oh well, it's all good. You have some nice rigs.
Hope our little discussion had something usefull for the OP. I hate thread-jackerz, .