Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front brakes and PS pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Front brakes and PS pump questions

I had my front brakes replaced 40k miles ago, as well as the ps pump. The pump is constantly damp with fluid over the whole thing, as well as both lines at both ends. The pump/tank is under warranty but not sure if my issue is just the lines leaking. It isn't losing enough fluid to matter much but would it help to replace it because I can? I assumed since the whole unit was wet that it was leaking and not just the lines.

Also my front left brake rotor is scored/gouged from a worn down outer brake pad. They were also changed 40k miles ago. The back of the rotor and the pad for it are okay. The passenger side brake looks very good and has a significant bit of pad left.

Before I get new pads which are under warranty, what should I inspect to prevent this from happening again? I know to check the caliper bolts and the piston.

Finally if the rotors have over 40k on them should I just replace since I will have it all apart anyway? I was thinking about getting them resurfaced but I wouldn't be able to do the job in one sitting anyway.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Wheel, break, fix, repeat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: AMC I6 4.0

My PS pump is in exactly the same condition and I haven't had any problems. Not saying its right, I just haven't gotten to that part of my engine yet.

As for your rotors, replace them. Most places won't resurface rotors because of liability issues (in VA anyway) and if the gouges are too deep they can't be resurfaced. It doesn't matter though, they're cheap and easy to replace.

You said your pads are 40,000 miles old, and they're under warranty. Not anymore they're not. At any rate, you need new pads if you get new rotors. Always do both sides at the same time.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Well I can get the pump replaced under the warranty and the brake pads as well. I already have confirmation that they will trade me so no worries there. A place just 3 miles down the road will spin each rotor for $12 and they look like they only have about 1mm or less of wear on them.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Wheel, break, fix, repeat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: AMC I6 4.0

Ok. Good luck.