Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fresh fish needing 2wd help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fresh fish needing 2wd help

first off howdy. I'm new to the forum and semi new to the jeep community. Trying to get a feel for the community. A few questions for the old timers, Is the build section strictly for serious remodelers or can I keep an ongoing journal of my jeep? I'm poor so it'll be slow going and lets not forget I have a lowly 96 Cherokee sport haha. I'm also what you would call extreme amateur and will be asking for more help then I'll give. I can perform basic maintenance and after reading through most of my new chilton book feel pretty confident in my ability to replace most parts that need replacing. The most important and relevant question though is this. Are all 2wd front axles compatible or do I need another 96? A link to an OEM one for sale would be even better but I can't seem find that online since everyone wants a 4x4 haha. alright enough rambling. I can provide more info if necessary. Thanks y'all!!
Old 02-28-2017, 09:41 PM

Well to answer my own question. Yes, I just pulled one off a 98 at the junkyard for $200!! And that was the cheapest one I found. Bought some new Monroe shocks and some new u joints. Gonna do the swap tomorrow or Thursday and hope it goes smooth
Old 03-01-2017, 04:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Go ahead and replace the upper control arm bushings pressed into the axle and ball joints. Is about $75-100 in additional parts, but well worth it. Guarantee if you don't replace them now, they will fail within 6 months. Easy work you can do in the driveway. Rent the large ball joint service kit from any auto parts store, make sure it has the tapered cup for pressing the upper ball joints.

What are the u joints for? Driveshaft? That 2WD axle doesn't have any u joints does it?
Old 03-01-2017, 06:41 AM

Ball joints!!! I'm sorry I've been staring at a lot of parts lately haha. That's what I meant though. Got the uppers now and waiting on the lowers and the upper control arm bushings you were talking about because the ones on it now are trashed. I'm assuming I'll need new bearings up front too? Can't afford them this week so that'll be the next item to replace. I'm guessing my bent axle put some serious stress on the ones I have now.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I would inspect the bearings before replacement. They might still be good.