Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Freeze plug on back of head. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Freeze plug on back of head. HELP!

So, the freeze plug at the back of the cylinder head on my 96 XJ is leaking. I need to change it, but I really don't have the dough on hand to pull the head, which will require new gaskets all around. I read somewhere at one point that you could pull the instrument cluster, and drill a hole in the firewall just behind the head and pull it out that way. Has anyone done this? What all is required to do it that way??? I've got a new set of plugs, I just need to get them on there.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

I had one in my shop a few years ago. The guy was low on funds and it was his only vehicle. I raised the engine a little and removed the engine mounts. Then I lowered the engine down on to the crossmember. That gave me enough room room to drill a 1/4" hole in the plug and pry it out with a 8" long drift punch. I used a rubber emergency type of plug and explained to the guy that it will only last about a year or two. By that time he may have the money to fix it or sell it. He is still a regular customer and now, three years later is ready for us to pull the head and repair it. Mostly because now he has no compression in cylinder 4, but I'm sure you see my point.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:28 PM

Year: 1996

Is there a pictoral-style guide somewhere to taking the head off of my 96 XJ? Just doing it alone with my haynes manual is intimdating.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:32 PM

Mine too has started leaking... bad... its the same jeep, same year, same motor and im invthe same boat as far as the "dough" is considered. What did you end up doing to fix the problem? What was the overall cost?
Old 11-19-2016, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Go through the firewall! Come on think realistically here. By the time you went through all that labor you could have pulled the head and fixed it. Money wise the gasket set for a head is cheap plus you get a new head gasket!
Old 11-19-2016, 05:50 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ

I guess this is an oil leak, not a coolant leak?
Old 11-19-2016, 06:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

Originally Posted by SteveMongr

freeze plugs usually =water,it freezes. not oil.
i doubt theres oil in that area of the head, coolant yes. i could be dead wrong!
Old 11-19-2016, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

X2, coolant, and thanks ****** for a $5 solution to a real nightmare.

Desert wolf, I didn't look in writeups, don't think there is one, but you will find plenty of threads with people getting solutions to problems.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

Silver Lining; He DID loose by well over a million votes. The United States is not quite as stupid as it looks! (I wrote in Bernie) The Electoral collage clearly needs to go.
when you clearly understand why the founding fathers went to great lengths to build in the e.c. you will appreciate it . they were not just tinkering and trying to mess up the process. it gives small states some balence, not completly left out an ruled by large states. it prevents a large # of radical splinter parties from grabing power with a big splitup of votes. a unique design.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:29 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
freeze plugs usually =water,it freezes. not oil.
i doubt theres oil in that area of the head, coolant yes. i could be dead wrong!
The term freeze plug is a misnomer, plugs are not necessarily for expansion of frozen fluids. Welsh plug is what they are also known as. Holes are there as part of the casting process.

There are three plugs on rear of engine, lower is crankcase , middle is coolant, the top one on head I am not sure. From my experience it is the middle one that most often leaks. Coolant will drip from bell housing.
The only way to get the middle plug is to remove the transmission. Middle plug can be viewed to see if it is leaking. Remove inspection plates, use a strong light and may need a dental mirror.

Last edited by SteveMongr; 11-20-2016 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

There should be no POLITCAL POSTS in our forums no matter how you feel we have a new President.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:38 PM

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
There should be no POLITCAL POSTS in our forums no matter how you feel we have a new President.

X2
Old 06-05-2019, 03:08 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

The term freeze plug is a misnomer, plugs are not necessarily for expansion of frozen fluids. Welsh plug is what they are also known as. Holes are there as part of the casting process.

There are three plugs on rear of engine, lower is crankcase , middle is coolant, the top one on head I am not sure. From my experience it is the middle one that most often leaks. Coolant will drip from bell housing.
The only way to get the middle plug is to remove the transmission. Middle plug can be viewed to see if it is leaking. Remove inspection plates, use a strong light and may need a dental mirror.

Could you explain a little more about how to get to this middle plug to view it?? Is it more so t the top of the engine block because I found 1 fairly close right behind my engine. I have the same issue sort of. Huge puddles of antifreeze I believe because my oil level has no dropped or moved. Leaking coming from trans BH and it’s all over the oil filter adapter and Starter and trans BH
Old 06-05-2019, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by Brittney Thatcher
Could you explain a little more about how to get to this middle plug to view it?? Is it more so t the top of the engine block because I found 1 fairly close right behind my engine. I have the same issue sort of. Huge puddles of antifreeze I believe because my oil level has no dropped or moved. Leaking coming from trans BH and it’s all over the oil filter adapter and Starter and trans BH
As SteveMongr posted, "The only way to get the middle plug is to remove the transmission."

Old 06-05-2019, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,068 Likes on 858 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)

Originally Posted by Brittney Thatcher
What year Cherokee? Large leaks on that side of the engine, I would be looking at the coolant lines to the heater core. Old Jeeps, have a failure prone surge tank and heater core valve over on that side as well.

Quick Reply: Freeze plug on back of head. HELP!