Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

"Frame" repair and restoration- When is it too late?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default "Frame" repair and restoration- When is it too late?

00 Cherokee. Got it for free and out some money into it. As with most it's rusty underneath. When it is past the point of no return? I'm a fabricator by trade and can weld. I build bike frames, but ive never don't car frame work. Do I cut and patch the frame? Do I wire wheel and grind the rust that's there and reinforce?

the big question, is it worth it? I can get steel for .60 A pound so thats not an issue. The work I'm not afraid of. But since it's a unibody what are the main concerns?
Old 03-04-2017, 02:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Well, see this thread for one man's opinion. I'm currently pecking away at a project to take a section of the frame rail from my 94, and stick it in my 97. I've been told it's hopeless, but I'm going to have a go at it and see what happens.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

A unibody is held together with spotwelds. Thousands of them, and some are dang near invisible. If you dont have one already, buy a spot weld cutter, and maybe some extra bits. Cant remember the brand, but i got mine from Summit. After 100 or so spotwelds between the Mustang and the XJ, im still on the first bit. It lost a tooth, but its still sharp.

Post some pics of what youre dealing with. We like pics.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I just got one of those kits from Eastwood. It cuts spot welds out like a dream! Vastly superior to using a regular drill bit.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im just wondering if repairing the rails is easy enough and worth it. - Should I keep the jeep and do a restoration of the floors down, or just drive a while and sell. Seems a lot of people use rail sections from donor vehicle. My very rear is great. front to middle is bad. Using a jack crushes it.

May just find a better body down the road, fix it up, then swap everything else.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

I decided to repair the sections of rail that were severely rotted on mine. Here is my results replacing a section of rail. For the remainder of what is rotted, I will form it on a sheetmetal brake with 14AWG, and weld up as necessary.

This is my opinion, and worth my garage-to-myself time.