Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Found a future headache..

Old 10-19-2010, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Thumbs down Found a future headache..

I got the header I am going to install this weekend, and decided to take a peak at exactly what I have to do to install it today. I found this on the forward intake/exhaust manifold bolt:

Wrong bolt, put in at an angle, cracked the head up some..

Wondering if I should locate a correct bolt, and attempt to install it and straighten out the threads. It seems this one is nowhere near seated all the way in, so I am thinking if I can thread passed the damage, it should work. BUT.. not sure if the head is split below this as well.. also scared this will take out my DD if I get into it and things do not work out, and I cannot afford to be without the Jeep right now.

I also realized this is the location of my exhaust leak.. I assumed it was a cracked exhaust manifold, as is so common. But here, the gasket seat is also expanded out, and there is a hairline that is not seated correctly.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Damn that sucks. If it were me I'd start looking into a new head just in case. I've seen them go for as little as $100, so it won't be too harsh if it boils down to it.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:48 PM

I may do that.. this does blow. I guess its a 50/50 success rate for repair. I have never changed a head.. I have found some cheap used ones. This engine runs so good though.. was looking forward to installing the header, high flow cat, and cat back this weekend. Who knows, maybe it will work out just fine... guess I can crack it loose, and see what happens.. if anything it will just stay the same.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by Florida Jeep
I may do that.. this does blow. I guess its a 50/50 success rate for repair. I have never changed a head.. I have found some cheap used ones. This engine runs so good though.. was looking forward to installing the header, high flow cat, and cat back this weekend. Who knows, maybe it will work out just fine... guess I can crack it loose, and see what happens.. if anything it will just stay the same.
Either way, good luck. Changing heads aren't tough, you just gotta make sure you get everything torqued back to factory spec, and do some other little odds and ends while in there.

If you do pull the head, obviously get a new head gasket, MLS if possible. Also consider getting head studs, but if those are a little pricey, and they can be, just get new bolts. I'm not 100% sure on these, but most head bolts are torque to yeild and they stretch, which gives them the clamping power needed. Problem is, if they are used more than once they are already stretched past their working length and become useless.

Again, good luck with any of the work you gotta do.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:54 PM

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2010, 05:04 PM

$259 for a reman head, includes shipping, and includes a return shipping prepaid label for the core ($75 core deposit if not returned within 30 days).

Mopar head gasket $40

$40 for standard - new - head bolts

Guess that's do-able at some point.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:11 PM

also here is a link to all 11 exhaust manifold bolts for $20. in case you need em too and its recomended that you replace them anyway.

http://www.teamcherokee.com/Engine/index.html
Old 10-19-2010, 05:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

it only looks a couple threads deep. Get a longer bolt and run a thread cleaner in it if you don't wanna change the head.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Your core charge probably wouldnt be returned since the head has damage. It could be deemed unservicable.

Pull the bolt out and try to run a tap through it to clean up. I'm sure someone here parting a rig would hook you up with a manifold bolt.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the link.. the header came with some hardware.. I will see if its complete.

I am definitely going to try to rescue this first. I have the rethreading stuff, a master kit.. I am thinking that will work just fine. Just worried about how much of that head is going to fall off when I take it all off.. and if it is worse below.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
Your core charge probably wouldnt be returned since the head has damage. It could be deemed unservicable.

Pull the bolt out and try to run a tap through it to clean up. I'm sure someone here parting a rig would hook you up with a manifold bolt.
Yeah, a hook up on the bolt would be great..

The ad said, warped, cracked, or otherwise damaged heads ok for the core
Old 10-19-2010, 05:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

Originally Posted by JeepingDan
it only looks a couple threads deep. Get a longer bolt and run a thread cleaner in it if you don't wanna change the head.
X2 no way would i change a head over that tiny problem... at worst... run a stud in there...and never worry about it again....
Old 10-19-2010, 05:31 PM

I agree, and that will be my first answer to this.. but my concern remains that the pieces are just hanging in there by tension from all the components tightened down.. not sure how extensive or deep it is cracked up, and how much of it is just going to fall out when I pull it apart. The other issue is that the seating face of the head for the gasket is also bulged out. We'll see.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Hommersimpson
X2 no way would i change a head over that tiny problem... at worst... run a stud in there...and never worry about it again....
A stud! Thats a good idea and locktite so it stays put. Just run the stud all the way in till it bottoms out. The manifold bolts are short to begin with so that one is only grabbing 2 or 3 threads. You should be fine with a stud.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:42 PM

I may actually have the correct size on hand... I am going to pull one of the other correct ones and match them up.. then get to work on digging into this. Thanks for all the replies.