Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Foglights stopped working.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Foglights stopped working.

I put a new foglight housing and bulb (bulb came with the housing) in my 01 XJ. And they worked for a few hours of driving, then I noticed they both went out. Both worked fine prior to the install of the new housing (with the exception of the actual housing). I checked the bulbs and they were fine. Both connectors were perfect with no damage. The fuses in the main compartment in the engine bay checked out fine. I do know there's more fuses on the passenger side, but they are not labeled. Any idea what the issue can be?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Did you check for B+ voltage at the foglight plug? Weird that they both went out at the same time and the fuse is ok. Maybe try switching fuses even if it looks good.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:56 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Power Tech
Default Switch

Check the fog light switch it may have give it up. I can feel the heat in my switch and all it does is operate the light relays, not stock setup.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:23 PM

I haven't gotten around to fixing this issue but I Finally got around to doing some tests today. The foglight switch lights up, could the switch still be the problem though? Because I've heard their junk on these cherokees. I'm knowledgeable with a volt-meter as well so any tests I could run? Also the bulbs look good, there not blacked out or anything
Old 05-01-2012, 10:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a similar issue that was fixed by taking out switch and cleaning it up. There was a thread that described it but it is really pretty easy and took all of 5 min. Worked in my case, good luck! Careful with the spring
Old 05-02-2012, 12:37 AM

Turned out that a fuse was burnt out in the fusebox under the hood. It wasn't the actual relay. Fixed that and bought the correct Sylvania bulb for the aftermarket housing, hopefully everything goes well
Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 AM

I have a 2000xj with the same problem. I thought u said you checked the fuse under the hood? I swapped out fuses with the AC fuse and still won't work. AC does though with that fuse. I have new aftermarket housings with good bulbs and my switch lights up with the fuse in but not when it's pulled. Hmm. Both lights went out at the same time too.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jjs2000xj
I have a 2000xj with the same problem. I thought u said you checked the fuse under the hood? I swapped out fuses with the AC fuse and still won't work. AC does though with that fuse. I have new aftermarket housings with good bulbs and my switch lights up with the fuse in but not when it's pulled. Hmm. Both lights went out at the same time too.
I had only checked the relays (apologies if I said fuses) because I was told there are no foglight fuses in that fusebox. But there were two rows of like 5 fuses I think and after doing numerous tests and not finding the problem. I decided to pull each one just for the heck of it. Check your relays and check those two rows of fuses in the underhood fusebox. Mine was a blue 15 amp that had burned out. I guess the bulb in the aftermarket housing was cheap and caused mine to blow. Goodluck!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 PM

Bingo... That was it. I had checked the relays but not the 15amp fuse... Problem solved... Thanks for your help. I'll put good bulbs in next to avoid this in the future.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:15 PM

i have the same problem, 99 cherokee xj with the foglight issue.
i took the switch apart and cleaned it up put it back in, checked the relays under the hood by swapping it with the ac relay, and checked the 15 amp fuse every thing checks out.
any other ideas? and the rear wiper is weird also, did the same thing with that switch cause it wasn't working either, put it back in and the wiper now squirts water but when i push the switch down it locks the hatch? any ideas?