Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Fog light legal wattage

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fog light legal wattage

Anybody here from Mass? I want to install aftermarket fog lights on my grill guard but don't know the highest legal wattage I can go up to. I would like the 100 watt halogen (it's probably for off road use only huh?) I can't find the Mass law on high beams anywhere.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 03:57 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I heard it is 80 watts in The Peoples Republic of Jersey for headlights. I live in PA, so I just cover my fog lights for inspection.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:06 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

Im not 100% sure but I remember reading that you can not go over 55watts for any light other then high beams and off road use lights.
If I remember right that's a federal law not a state law. Sot would apply to every state.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

As I recall, FMVSS sez that anything over 55W for an auxiliary lamp should be covered, headlamps are to be 55W dip beam and 60W full beam.

However, most cops will leave you alone (at least, out here) as long as you're not doing anything foolish. Case in point: I have yet to get ticketed for:

- Hella E-code H4 bowls with 90W dip beam and 130W full beam, "Super White" bulbs, carefully aimed.
- 100W "Super White" pencil beam driving lamps
- 30W Super White bulbs in an amber reflector/lense housing with a wide dispersal pattern for fog lamps.
urn
I do not use the driving lamps in town (doing so is stupid anyhow,) and I rarely use full beam on my headlamps (primarily when I'm driving in places like Nevada, Utah, Kansas, Nebraska - long stretches of unlit road with sparse traffic.) A little common sense and forethought saves you loads on tickets!

As far as what bulb to use where? Don't bother going with a high-watt bulb in a fog lamp housing - it's silly and counterproductive. If you're going to use fog lamps as intended, bear in mind this simple mantra: "Less is More." A fog lamp should be loaded with a bulb between 30W and 55W - more will reflect light back into your eyes in fog, less won't punch through. Also, use an amber bulb or amber-coloured housing.

If you want a bright light, use a driving lamp - they're designed to take advantage of a bright bulb. (In fact, in fog, I usually turn off my headlamps and drive on the fog lamps and running lights - I haven't gotten a ticked anywhere in the country for doing that - also tends to work well in heavy rain or snow. Then again, I've also upgraded most of my running lamps.)

I get so tired of hearing about how people want to stick a bright bulb in a fog lamp. I usually find myself hoping they're not sure what they're talking about, but the point merits constant explanation. Throw a 100W bulb (of pretty much any colour!) in a fog lamp, and you'll flare yourself out the first time you hit it in fog.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default pretty sure its 55w

It's 55w for fog lights and there are rules on how many and where you can have them mounted for on-road use, here in Colorado. Can only have a total of 4 lit while on-road, counting headlights, and fogs must be 55w or less. Headlights can be 55w low beam and higher for the high beams. Anything 100w must be kept off while driving on-road. Pretty sure there are rules in every state about how high off the ground lights can be when used on-road as well.

Like the PP said, mostly it's about using common sense and not having them on when you shouldn't. I only use my bumper mounted 55w H3s when I'm on back roads at night cuz there are moose everywhere. I always say to myself: "You don't wanna blind an old lady and have her smack a 4000lb buick into you on the highway anyway, right?"